Talk

Advanced search

What do you tell your 8yr old about hitting?

(6 Posts)
Toomanyworriedsonhere Wed 05-Oct-11 11:41:00

A friend of my DS recently whacked my DD on the arm with a folded up metal scooter. On discussing this with the Dad of the other boy I found we had different ideas about hitting.

He says he tells his DS that if you are hit you hit back. I tell my DCs to find a grown-up/walk away. What do you do?

Davsmum Wed 05-Oct-11 11:51:01

The Dad would have been ok then - if your DD had wacked his son back really hard ?
What does he tell his DS about hitting people for no reason then ? ( like he did to your DD)

Toomanyworriedsonhere Wed 05-Oct-11 11:53:20

He told me he was really angry with his son!
I didn't think of her whacking him back - maybe we should make an exception to our rule for this kid or maybe my DCs should find the dad and whack him grin

Toomanyworriedsonhere Wed 05-Oct-11 11:57:10

I think the rule is definitely to walk away from a kid armed with a scooter!

Davsmum Wed 05-Oct-11 12:03:08

Its a difficult one. When I was very young I always walked away when someone hit me and I tended to get bullied until one day I hit the bully back really hard and then he never hit me again. I did notice that kids who hit back did not seem to get picked on whilst those who walked away did !
It does depend on the nature of the child being hit. Some will think nothing of hitting back - and yet others find they just can't - so what they are told by a parent will just be ignored anyway.

Toomanyworriedsonhere Wed 05-Oct-11 12:09:51

I agree that it's tricky and I can see the Dad's position. I guess I would look at self-defence classes for DD at some point because she might need to protect herself in the future.

However, I think the other kid has blurred boundaries because of what he has been told.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now