Talk

Advanced search

Refusing all drinks but water.

(11 Posts)
cleoismycat Tue 04-Oct-11 15:15:51

A few weeks ago we gave up milk in bottles (the bottle-fairy). However, my dd now refuses to drink any milk at all. She will only drink water or the very occasional carton of apple juice - but only if it's in a carton.

We tried letting her choose her own cup but she still won't drink milk out of it. She doesn't ask for milk anymore but I'm worried about her calcium intake as she used to drink so much milk. She's three and a half. Should i stop worrying or has anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Edsmummy Tue 04-Oct-11 15:20:02

Hi,

Does she eat cheese & yoghurt? My HV recently told me that they don't need milk for calcium intake once they get past 2 - it's just a social comfort drink!

Not sure if I quite agree with her, but I wouldn't worry too much about your DD if she is getting enough other calcium rich foods.

At least she is drinking water - I know plenty of kids her age that will only drink juice / squash.

Hope it settles down x

cleoismycat Tue 04-Oct-11 15:21:41

Thanks, i'll try and do more cheese. She won't touch Frubes either 'cos it's not in a yogurt pot - don't know where she gets it (ahem).

TanteRose Tue 04-Oct-11 15:21:45

my DD has never drunk milk - she stopped breastfeeding at 16 months and that was it for cold milk as a drink!

She does eat cheese, yoghurt, and quite likes hot chocolate

she is now 13 years old, and taller than me grin

TobyLeWolef Tue 04-Oct-11 15:33:08

There is calcium in all sorts of things. Leafy green veg like curly kale have loads, sardines, chick peas, baked beans, certain nuts... Even bread is fortified with it.

You could try custard or rice pudding.

GiraffeAHolic Tue 04-Oct-11 15:34:50

Have you tried freezing the frubes so they're like an ice lolly? Might be worth a try.

StrandedBear Tue 04-Oct-11 16:38:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gapants Tue 04-Oct-11 16:45:33

My DS has never had a drop of milk in his life after we stopped BF at 2, we get calcium elsewhere as toby mentioned. Try not to worry!

LaWeasel Tue 04-Oct-11 16:53:27

DD had about 6mths of this after we gave up bottles, she went back to milk eventually. It didn't really matter though - we eat cheese like it's going out of fashion!

Portofino Tue 04-Oct-11 16:55:02

My dd moved on to hot (well warm) chocolate at about that age.

Madlizzy Tue 04-Oct-11 17:03:59

It's good that she only wants water. Calcium comes from other sources, as stated, including green, leafy veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now