Talk

Advanced search

My daughter is horrible right now.

(4 Posts)
iwanttohelp Tue 04-Oct-11 12:10:33

DD is coming up for 4.

Has always been a whinger and quick tempered.

Last 6 months or so has become awful. She whines and whines and whines. Even a simple request for a drink involves a whiny tone.

She has taken to screaming in temper when somethings not right, eg, her toy is caught on something, or she can't get her slipper on. Its very similar to an "I'm being murdered" scream, meaning I usually have to find her and investigate.

She's at pre school, and she seems fine, her teachers say she is sunny, pleasant and popular.

Generally when I pick her up she has started whining before I'm even in the car.

Its probably minor, but its getting me down. I can't be anywhere or do anything without hearing her persistant whining or screaming. I'm starting to feel tense and very quick tempered around her because it doesn't stop. The weekends are worst, because she does not let up.

She's usually ok if we're at soft play, but once we're on our way home she's off again.

I really am hoping its a phase, because I'm really at my wits end with her.

themightyskim Tue 04-Oct-11 13:16:23

I think its a 4 year old thing we are going through much the same, grit your teeth it will pass (I say hopefully, it will wont it?) and I hope it helps to know we feel like that at the moment its bloody awful not to enjoy having your child about but thats how it feels at the moment for us

Can you try a bit of rewarding the good and totally blanking the annoying bits? It seems to work about 80% of the time for us

corygal Tue 04-Oct-11 13:40:02

Have you tried in response to whiny requests "Not if you use that whiny voice". It works.

mcfee Tue 04-Oct-11 13:43:57

What is it we say on MN? "This too will pass"?? Well sorry to say that DD1 entered this phase at about 4 or 5 and will be 7 next week and there's no sign of it passing!

HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now