Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9mo not standing at all

(25 Posts)
Timeoutofmind Tue 04-Oct-11 11:59:13

My DD is just 9mo. She appears to be on the brink of crawling as she's getting on all fours and rocking back and forth, but when you put her in the standing position she does not push down with her feet or put her feet flat to the floor. We have a door bouncer and she doesn't even bounce in that but instead moves her legs in a running motion.

It is getting a bit worrying now, especially as we had the 8-10mo review today and HV said its a bit of a concern.

Anyone have any experience of this?

NovemberAli Tue 04-Oct-11 12:43:53

Hi

I think it's way too early to be concerned. My DD was a late crawler (crawled just before 1st birthday) and has only just started to stand (13mo). At 9 mo she wouldn't stand at all like your DD and just pull her legs up if you tried to get her to bear weight. She had a jumperoo like thing and did not bounce in it at all - huge waste of money smile
When I saw the HV at her year review she said she wasn't worried as she is actually bearing weight on her legs by being in the all-fours postion like your DD. She said she would only start to look further into it if she had made no progress at all by about 15 months. Just be thankful like me that she is a later mover and enjoy the peace whilst you can! grin

Timeoutofmind Tue 04-Oct-11 13:20:31

Thank you NovemberAli. I know you are right but its difficult not to worry when people are always saying 'can't she crawl yet' and 'can't she stand yet'.:-)

chocjunkie Tue 04-Oct-11 13:50:45

I know a couple of toddlers who were not able to bear weight on their legs at 9 month. they are all walking now grin but then, I don't have a medical background and don't know what the norm for that is. just wondered if you HV offered any help or support or a referral (paed, physio?) or did she just leave you with her remark that it is of concern?

AgonyBeetle Tue 04-Oct-11 13:58:16

NOt standing at 9 months? Gawd almighty, your HV needs some real problems to worry about. None of mine would weight-bear or were mobile in any form until well over a year old - my youngest in particular if you tried to make her stand used to hold her legs out in front of her like a little plastic dolly until you put her back down on her bottom where she obviously felt she belonged. hmm They all went on to bottom-shuffle for England and walked late (all post 18-months).

Unless she's generally floppy or has poor energy levels or co-ordination, I really wouldn't lose sleep over it. And check with your parents and DH's parents at what age you both started to walk - age of walking/crawling is highly heritable, so if you know in advance that either you or dd's dad were late to walk it might reassure you (or you'll know who to blame). wink

Timeoutofmind Tue 04-Oct-11 13:58:59

No she just said it was of concern and that I need to encourage her to do it.

Oh I know deep down that I shouldn't worry, they all do it their own rate. :-)

mistlethrush Tue 04-Oct-11 14:02:37

I'm sure Ds didn't 'stand' at this age either... it wasn't that he 'couldn't' I'm sure, it was that it was much easier to sit up - or kick his legs downwards whilst being held up - or similar. Can't quite believe it now he's 6.5 and dashing around at full speed most of the time.

Davsmum Tue 04-Oct-11 14:09:53

My nephew was walking at 9 months - but my neice did not even pull herself up or try to stand until she was 13 months old.
They are both much older now and both equally able in the leg department !

There is no race and no competition, so just relax and let your DD be the individual she is !
Your HV sounds daft.

2tired2bewitty Tue 04-Oct-11 14:10:11

Another non stand-er here. DD didn't crawl until 15 months and didn't start pulling herself up until about then either. She still can't stand unsupported or walk at nearly 20m. She has tiny feet though (size 3) and someone in Clarks suggested to DH that this might be a contributing factor, as she can't quite get her balance.

Timeoutofmind Tue 04-Oct-11 20:21:40

Cheers all for your reassurance. smile

Deesus Tue 04-Oct-11 20:26:01

My niece was much nearer two than one when she started walking. SIL used to joke she was 'clinically lazy' but other people's comments did start to wear her down a bit. Try to ignore them as best you can - I haven't met many people who didn't get the hang of walking...wink

AgonyBeetle Tue 04-Oct-11 21:36:29

To all the people who make inane comments like, "Oh, isn't she walking yet?" [Er no, obviously she isn't, you peabrain] you just deadpan it and say, "Oh no, she's far too busy thinking deep thoughts to bother with mere walking."

grin

motherinferior Tue 04-Oct-11 21:38:26

Heavens to Murgatroyd, nine months?? DD1 was just about sitting up at that stage. Like the small Beetles, she walked quite pathetically late.

She is now 10, and really rather good at walking.

suzimum Tue 04-Oct-11 21:40:24

My DS is 22 months and only in the last 2 months has been pulling himself up on furniture and only in the last few weeks started to cruise round it. He still doesn't crawl properly - he bottom shuffled from about 12 months. At 19 months we saw a paediatrician who checked him out and found nothing wrong with him- he's just a late walker. It has been hard though watching all my friends' toddlers running about for months and months, and incredibly infuriating to have people tell me how 'lucky' I am that he isn't walking yet.. 9 months is nothing!

hazeyjane Tue 04-Oct-11 22:00:07

It is probably fine, but if you are worried that she isn't able to bear weight on her legs, or if her feet roll in, then maybe see your gp and ask if they think a referral is necessary.

Pishtushette Tue 04-Oct-11 22:19:41

My DD is 22 months and has only started cruising in the last month or so. She crawled at 13 months and would always curl her legs up until she was about 16 months if you tried to make her weight bear.

DD was diagnosed with weak hips and has been having physio since she was about 18months.

Lots of people I`ve mentioned it to have said either they, or DCs they know didn`t walk until they were 2.

II hope all works out for your DD. Im sure she`s fine. I think a big part of it with my DD was that she had no desire to stand, but now she`s really trying.

AgonyBeetle Tue 04-Oct-11 22:22:20

God I loved having late walkers. At the age where other people's children were roaming round randomly destroying stuff I could plonk mine in the middle of the sitting room floor with a pile of toys and go off to make a cup of tea knowing that when I came back they'd be exactly where I'd left them.

What's not to like? grin I'm sure 9 month old walkers are very nice if you like that kind of thing, but late developers acquire walking and very basic common sense at around the same time, which has enormous and obvious advantages.

Don't knock it.

splashymcsplash Tue 04-Oct-11 23:33:21

Was just going to post saying don't worry, children develop at their own pace. If they aren't walking by 18 months it needs investigating (but may still be normal), speak to your HV.

I'm very jealous of all the late crawlers/walkers. My dd crawled at 7m and walked at 10m, and now she has learnt never stops!

Katiepoes Wed 05-Oct-11 13:23:21

My 16 month old is still at the pulling up on the couch stage, she only started that about a month ago. She crawled at about 13 months and she'll walk in her own good time. Your HV sounds a bit daft, if there's a 'bit of a concern' it's her rush to make a baby walk.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Oct-11 13:46:44

Sorry, I know everyone has really good intentions, but sometimes it's not about rushing a baby to walk. If a baby won't bear any weight on it's legs (I don't know if that is the case with the op's lo), then that can sometimes be a concern , and if it is worrying the op then maybe seeing a gp is the best idea.

lonesomeBiscuit Wed 05-Oct-11 20:38:18

Do seek advice if you are worried, but another anecdotal tale here.

At 9 months my DS was the same - not weight bearing at all on his legs, would lift them in the air if you tried to put him in a standing position, jumperoo a complete waste of money (he grew too heavy for it before he was able to use it), but was just starting attempts to crawl. It took him five weeks of rocking before he was able to crawl forwards (at 10 months one week). Almost overnight, he started bearing weight as well, I think that all the crawling efforts strengthened his legs.

At just turned 11 months, he can now stand holding onto furniture and has just started moving his weight from one leg to another to reach for toys. He can push his legs straight into a "downwards dog"-type yoga position on the floor (but not yet pull all the way into an upright standing position). He is way behind all the other babies in his antenatal group (all of whom have been able to bear weight/pull to standing since 5 or 6 months), but this particular thing has never worried me and now I can see him making progress every week.

Timeoutofmind Wed 05-Oct-11 21:26:45

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to see how she goes on in the next few months as she is now really trying to crawl so when she manages it then maybe as lonesomebiscuit says, this may strengthen her legs.

I think as a lot is you say it is a bit early to be panicing about it just yet, I'm sure she will do it in her own time!

ChippingIn Wed 05-Oct-11 21:30:20

agonybeetle has it spot on grin

Honestly, some HV are a complete liability.

It is not at all unusual and it is a bloody stupid thing to say that you should be encouraging her << that could do damage. She will do it when she's ready and 9 months is far too early to worry about her not doing it - honestly! smile

ChippingIn Wed 05-Oct-11 21:31:25

Next time someone says 'Isn't she walking/crawling yet' just say 'No, thank god, it's such a blessing grin' and believe it, don't feel upset or worried - just thankful!!

Timeoutofmind Wed 05-Oct-11 21:34:38

Thanks ChippinIn smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now