Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with rudeness/cheekiness?

(8 Posts)
EttiKetti Tue 04-Oct-11 07:07:55

I've started to get a LOT of this over the summer and its really getting me down. DC are 9&6 and mostly get on well, altho I could also do with some advice on how to stop them.lashing out physically to one another when in.disagreement.

I'm sounding like mother if the year here, aren't I? hmm

Couple of examples:
DS singing loudly whilst my dad was trying to speak to me (dad a gentle soul with memory issues, dc know this). DS being really silly,asked him to stop, carried on.singing loudly over dad, asked again, still started again.

At family bbq at weekend, DS again, whining constantly over not getting own way over particular issue (danger issue, wanted to get apples from.high tree, was told to wait 10 mins for DH to arrive).

DD is stressy and ?hormonal at 9, will argue black is white but I stop responding so nothing to argue with, iyswim. Often out and out refusal to do anything such as putting her things away neatly etc. When taken to one side to be spoken to, smirks and stifles giggles.

I've had a very challenging teen and am petrified that whatever mistakes I made there, I am repeating and really need advice please!

EttiKetti Tue 04-Oct-11 07:08:52

Please excuse typos and . instead of spaces,stupidly small phone keyboard!

mousymouse Tue 04-Oct-11 07:11:24

give them warnings and then send them to another room for a few minutes if they can't behave.

Tee2072 Tue 04-Oct-11 07:54:44

Stop asking them and start telling them.

'DS stop singing right now as I am trying to speak to grandad or you will be put into your room.'

Then follow through.

themightyskim Tue 04-Oct-11 08:30:24

or take things away short term I would say at that age they are old enough to understand (and be affected by) the removal or a toy of video game over night or for a day or two when their behaviour is not being stopped by removing them from the situation? and the opposite- on the good days small rewards maybe? like if they can manage to be good over the weekend period can they have half an hour later to bed? or pizza night or something they enjoy so you dont feel like its all punnishment smile

Davsmum Tue 04-Oct-11 14:21:38

AGree with Tee2027
They have to know you mean what you say - and asking them to stop is a request not an instruction. Be firm in both instruction and tone of voice so there can be no confusion about what is required.
Children DO know when you mean what you say - by the tone and way it is said.

ellesabe Tue 04-Oct-11 19:43:49

Remove priviledges when they misbehave. If one dc is good, praise praise praise and reward. The other will soon realise what they are missing out on!

EttiKetti Tue 04-Oct-11 21:03:20

Don't want everyone to think I am ignoring, but its been a BAD DAY, so will reply properly tomorrow, just wanted to thank you all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now