Talk

Advanced search

Encouraging a reluctant slinger - tips from experts?

(5 Posts)
Secondtimelucky Mon 03-Oct-11 20:35:47

With DD1 we both loved the sling and I used it loads. I had a Close and a Connecta. This pregnancy I splashed out on a Didymos.

Slight problem, DD2 hates the sling. She was ok(ish) for the first month. She's now four months old and can't stand it. She arches her back, screams, scrabbles with her arms to get free. She will sometimes tolerate 5-10 minutes, then goes totally crazy. I have no idea what to do to see if I can encourage her to like it. She is perfectly happy to be carried in an almost identical position.

It would make my life an awful lot easier if she could learn to love the sling, especially since she isn't the best sleeper and the ability to let her nap when we're out and about would be handy. However, mostly it would enable me to be so much more active with DD1 at the park, etc, without having to have one eye on the buggy.

Any suggestions? Anyone had this and won their baby over?

Janoschi Mon 03-Oct-11 22:59:08

Well... my DD hated the sling at first (we have an Ergo) but is now very happy in it aged 5 months. Like yours, she enjoyed being carried in the same position but the sling would cause the screaming, arched back, flailing limbs etc.

I used to wear the sling but not do it up, if you know what I mean. I'd hold her in the same position with the fabric positioned correctly but really loosely and her weight was held by my arms. Then I'd tension it a bit but still hold my arms as if I was carrying her. And finally I got my arms back. Took a couple of weeks to get to that point and I only did short walks of 10-15mins during that phase.

But also check she's definitely comfy - no tangled clothes, blue feet etc!

Maybe it helps?

Secondtimelucky Tue 04-Oct-11 09:42:33

Ooh, that's a good idea. Like a phased introduction. I will try to give that a go.

I'd love to try out an ergo. I hanker after one, but can't justify it if I'm not going to get the use.

Loopymumsy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:39:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Secondtimelucky Mon 10-Oct-11 11:46:43

Right, we've tried the Connecta again (she's only a weeny 25th centiler, so last time she was too small) and it was much more successful. Now I need to ponder which SCC to try out. The Connecta has a broken snap held together with a lot of tape - it's fine for a small baby and short periods because of the nature of the crack, but I wouldn't want to risk it longer.

Hmm, may have to pop over to the sling board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now