Talk

Advanced search

7 month old daytime naps

(3 Posts)
Katysmum11 Mon 03-Oct-11 12:37:41

Hi all,
we have a 7 month old gorgeous girl who is generally a very smiley happy well behaved bundle.
I'm due to start back at work november and would like her to have a mote structured routine by then or at least be taking her daytime naps in her cot.
But currently she naps roughly the same times each day but does really fight it now and does sleep in her rocking/vibrating chair downstairs.
When she was about 12 weeks old we'd found she would only sleep on us so we made an effort to get her sleeping elsewhere which was the chair we could rock esp as he naps were erratic. We can now see we should have gone straight to napping in her cot in the bedroom.
How should I go about getting her to sleep in her cot for naps in the day?
I feel I can read her well and know if she's crying cos she just doesn't want to sleep there but is tired or is hungry/wet etc, should I just put her down when she normally sleeps and let her cry?

Any suggestions much appreciated as I don't really want to just let her scream as she's a happy soul generally (except when u want her to do something she doesn't want to do)

Many thanks. Stacey.

shefliesthrutheair Mon 03-Oct-11 12:49:04

Hi Katysmum,
Maybe she needs a bit less sleep so she's really tired to go down, at least for a few days to get used to being left in the cot? I'm sure if she's exhausted you could put her anywhere! Or you could try staying with her until she falls asleep, or both lying on your bed then graduating to the cot after a few days?

On the other hand, I do know two-year-olds who still only nap in buggies, so depending on the childcare you have it might not be such a big deal as it seems now?

Kiwiinkits Wed 05-Oct-11 05:26:32

At 7 months old my DD was introduced to her 'blankie' as someone mentioned to me that babies seek comfort items at about that age. She LOVES that blankie and it is her sleep aide. So perhaps try that.
Another thing might be to try moving the chair into her room closer and closer to the cot. Then one day, into the cot...! It might work?
If vibration is her thing, then perhaps a white noise CD might help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now