Talk

Advanced search

balloon popping

(7 Posts)
Tgger Sun 02-Oct-11 21:02:39

DS (nearly 5) is upset by balloons being popped, which rather inevitably happens at birthday parties. He's ok with me leaving him (at trusted friend's) parties (only just started doing this and previous one I did he was fine- was outside, no balloons!), but today I got a call from the Mum saying he was in tears because some balloons had been popped. When I got back to the party he was fine, eating the birthday tea with all the others. Apparentely he recovered pretty quick but was very upset when it initially happened. I'd completely forgotten about this issue when I'd discussed with him about how I would go home and come back for him.

Just wondering what I should think about this for future parties. Do I need to stay until he is better with this, or can I have a quiet word with the party host to warn them- can't really ban balloons from other children's parties (!) but we certainly won't be having any at his!

mummyosaurus Sun 02-Oct-11 21:13:32

I think it’s quite common to be scared of popping balloons. With my DD it became a mild phobia, I had to ask for all balloons to be tied up on the wall.

I’ve known the same thing with a couple of other kids too.

DD’s fear passed quickly, after playing with Helium balloons (which don’t pop). She’s 6 ½ and fine with balloons now.

CocktailQueen Sun 02-Oct-11 23:44:32

My dd used to be just the same, till about 5 - then she gradually got better. Now at 7 she'd fine!

mumeeee Mon 03-Oct-11 09:14:36

I would still leave him at parties but explain to the host about his fear of gallons popping. As you said he got over it quickly. A lot of 5 year olds are afraid of balloons popping so he's not likely to be the only one at a party with this problem. My daughter was afraid of balloons until she was 8. My niece is grown up and still hates balloons.

DeWe Mon 03-Oct-11 09:57:58

I would always warn the host. Firstly there's nothing worse than finding a child visitor in tears and not knowing what's wrong. Secondly sometimes games which include popping balloons (usually to get stuff inside) can be played. I don't quite understand why because whenever I've seen it done (often by a professional entertainer) there's almost always been a child in tears because of it, and a couple of small girls trying in vein to protect a balloon they want to take home... and then they end in tears. confused

Tgger Mon 03-Oct-11 11:12:51

Thanks all. Yes, I think a warning to the host should be fine for the immediate future (feel rather silly that I had completely forgotten about this fear yesterday!) perhaps with a proviso that they phone me after 5 or 10 minutes if he is still upset. It happens DS is off school today with a slight temperature and sore throat so think maybe he wasn't feeling at his best anyway yesterday hence the tears- although they may have happened anyway.

mummyosaurus Mon 03-Oct-11 11:27:47

Hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now