Talk

Advanced search

Please help....I desperately need sleep

(58 Posts)
AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 06:47:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 06:52:30

Ok firstly, you know her best - do you think she's stressed, overtired, unwell? Any ideas why she's waking?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:01:19

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:04:44

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:09:13

Ok, I don't know about kindergarten - is it compulsory or could you take her out for a month or two then try again?

Is cosleeping an option at all - even if not in your bed then a mattress in her room until she feels more settled?

Early bedtimes?

Reintroduce a nap?

I really do sympathise. My first was a truly dreadful sleeper and being pregnant on top of it all is just horrendous.

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:10:29

Oh the anger, I remember it so well. It's frightening.

Have you got any help at night?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:15:07

RitaMorgan Sat 01-Oct-11 07:15:10

Sounds like she is chronically overtired. I'd try putting her mattress on your floor, or have your DH sleep in her bed and her in yours - at least for a few nights so you can all catch up on some sleep.

Can she just do half days and kindergarten for a while? Or maybe just a couple of days a week? I'd also try having some quiet time for her to rest after kindergarten and bring her bedtime forward - 7pm latest.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:15:59

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:17:33

RitaMorgan Sat 01-Oct-11 07:17:52

Why is your husband doing all the sleeping if you both work full time?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:20:17

AlpinePony Sat 01-Oct-11 07:20:41

Go upstairs right now and explain to your husband that he's now on duty! If you're both working ft and you're pregnant you win top trumps!

I'm interested as to why she can't be left alone.

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:20:44

Right, you need a plan.

You need to phone and talk to her teacher. This is untenable. Sod rules, ask them to come to an arrangement where she does less hours.

Tell your husband that he either steps up or you bail out to a hotel for a week. And mean it. If you both work and you're pregnant then he absolutely needs to be doing some night stuff.Right, you need a plan.

You need to phone and talk to her teacher. This is untenable. Sod rules, ask them to come to an arrangement where she does less hours.

Tell your husband that he either steps up or you bail out to a hotel for a week. And mean it. If you both work and you're pregnant then he absolutely needs to be doing some night stuff.

Iggly Sat 01-Oct-11 07:21:05

Why isn't your husband helping?

When did the nightmares start? What's her bedtime routine like? Maybe you need to cut down on tv, watch the books she reads before bed (I had horrendous nightmares at that age). Also fresh air in the afternoon if you can.

Talk her through her fears and devise strategies - does she have a duvet cover with patterns on which look like teeth? Is it the bed itself? You know it's not real but when she's lying there at 1am she thinks it is. Can you give her a night light?

What about sleeping in her room for a bit?

AlpinePony Sat 01-Oct-11 07:22:48

Explain? TELL!

And then get under that duet yourself.

Tbh he's got a small point, if he's sleeping and he doesn't realise you're both awake then how can he know? I know men are better at sleeping through it but I find an elbow to the ribs an effective hearing aid.

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:22:53

Stairgate on bedroom door, pile of books and jigsaws or bricks, bunny clock or groclock?

And a pair of big boots to kick your husband's arse with?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:23:36

RitaMorgan Sat 01-Oct-11 07:24:53

Wake him up then! It's his responsibility to do at least half of the night time stuff.

I really wouldn't worry about delaying the inevitable or bad habits now - your dd needs reassurance and sleep. You need sleep. Just do whatever is necessary to achieve that in the short term - you can work on a long term solution later.

RitaMorgan Sat 01-Oct-11 07:25:55

Put her in bed with him and go to bed in her bed?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:26:12

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:27:12

Annie. Show him this thread. This is serious. And ridiculous. He's behaving like a lazy bachelor. He's not, he's a father and a husband and it's time he acted like it.

RhinoKey Sat 01-Oct-11 07:27:43

Can you bring her into bed with you?

I have a chronic non-sleeper (he has ASD and even melatonin didnt touch him), but could you try some rescue remedy?

I do think that you should get your 'D'H out of bed, or put her in with him and you get in her bed.

beararse Sat 01-Oct-11 07:28:55

But surely you could agree with the teachers to reduce her hours? She's only 3, it's a massive thing for her to cope with. Do they realise just how bad things are?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 07:29:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now