Talk

Advanced search

is my baby teething at 11 weeks??? PLEASE HELP!!

(19 Posts)
candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:10:31

i posted a thread about a week ago '11 weeks old refusing food' and since then went to the hospital and saw a doc the said it could be colic/lactose problem so i was given 'colief' which i have been using since sunday and he satrted off ok on it, well when i say ok i mean better than he was but not back to normal. but its started to happen again. he will take 2-3oz then pull away and when i try to give him the rest he starts turning his head from side to side and refuses to take it and then starts really crying, but he is still sucking on his hands as if he is hungry. he has had the runs but put that down to the colief drops. i have offered he some cooled boiled water as the doc said this was fine and he seems to take that better than the milk. it is as if he dosent like milk. or could he be teething. please help me i just dont know what to do!!!!

Beamur Fri 30-Sep-11 21:12:39

My baby had her first teeth at 4 months, so it is possible for teething this early.
Have you given him any pain relief?

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:16:09

No not yet as have no idea what he can have, was gonna pop out tomorrow and get some teething gel to see if that helps.

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:17:23

He is also dribbling.

Tigresswoods Fri 30-Sep-11 21:18:08

I'd be shocked if it was teething. Sorry it's not getting better. how long did Dr say Colief takes to work?

Beamur Fri 30-Sep-11 21:19:50

I'd see what you can get that is suitable for his age and teething and see if he is any happier.
You can use Calpol from 2 months (providing baby not prem and low weight) I think. Personally, I've always erred on the side of offering a little pain relief when DD seemed unhappy as she was otherwise a fairly cheery soul and being out of sorts usually indicated she was unwell or teething.

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:20:03

He didnt say, but reading the website its says you should see improvement in a week if not go back to the docs. its just sods law its the weekend and docs not open.

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:22:24

Beamur-- yeah he is usually so happy smiling and chatting away all the time. its just breaks my heart to seem him so unhappy.

Beamur Fri 30-Sep-11 21:27:17

From what you say it does sound a bit like teething - obviously, I'm just guessing, but the discomfort, the dribbling, the runs, the hand sucking, all could be due to his mouth being sore with new teeth coming.
Did the doctor look in his mouth? Does it look red or sore in his throat - other things possibly could be a throat infection or even thrush. A chum of mine, her little boy had thrush which affected his feeding until diagnosed.

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:30:37

Beamue--- yeah he did check his mouth all he said was he did not have a throat infection so that was good.

Beamur Fri 30-Sep-11 21:37:07

That's good, rules that out. I think I would be inclined to get some suitable pain relief and see if that helps - but given a week if the colief doesn't seem to be helping I'd be asking the doctor if you should persevere or not.
I was bf my DD at this age and she went the opposite way - when her mouth hurt she fed and fed and fed and often ended up being horribly and dramatically sick! Spoonful of calpol was definitely preferable to a sick coated child - and Mum. I was very shocked to find teeth in my barely 4 month old baby, but she got all her teeth on the early end of the scale of when they were due.

candy11 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:44:59

oh gosh thats sounds horrible for you. last sat he did do that he drank and drank untill he trew up the whole lot over me and him then slept for 10hrs straight bless him. yep think i am gonna get some teething gel and see how he is over the weekend and if no better will take to doc on monday. but at least i can get him to take a little so he wont dehydrate.

ipukepoodles Sat 01-Oct-11 22:14:05

My friends DD did the exact same thing around this age and is now 4 months and still very small however, i suggested she maybe change the teets (if bottle feeding) to the bigger size as when i was in neo natal with my DS they said don't get the newborn ones as they have to suck so much they get bored/tired, she also changed the milk she was using from cow and gate to aptamil - she was on 2-3oz now she will take 6-7oz. Hope maybe some of this helps! (she also sucked her hands, would drink water - the doctors gave her gaviscon for babies but made her constipated so they told her to try watered down prunce juice!)

sugarplum28 Wed 05-Oct-11 20:16:06

Hi, I think we found our little boy Luke of 14 weeks teething a couple of weeks ago when he looked as he was going to eat his fists. I wasn't sure what it was and as he is our first, would never guess it could be teething this early. But i wached him and i could see that he was scratching his gums. Then i gave him my nuckle and oh boy, if he had teets i would have no finger. It's unbelievable at what age they can start teething. My colleague said that her granddaughter started teething at 3/4 months and her milk teeth fell out at the age of 5yrs old.
We've tried Calpol and first it wasn't helping and then we tried these drops - Anbesol, which are apparently more effective but Luke didn't like them at all and screamed bloody murder. My husband has been told about a teething necklace, apparently it's made out of amber and it's 100% effective. So I ordered one today and we'll see if it helps.
If i hear someone else telling me that this will get better, i think i'm gonna kill them. It's really hard listening to your baby cry in pain and you can't help them. x

Bubandbump Sun 09-Oct-11 19:55:37

I know this thread is a bit old now but reflux or cows milk protein intolerance spring to mind Op. Hopefully it was teething though and it's now passed.

candy11 Sun 09-Oct-11 21:58:17

hey sugerplum28 yep he is def teething you can see on the inside of his gums on the bottom 2 little white things so there is def something there. we have good days and bad. i brought dentinox teething gel and tommee tippee teethers stage 1 they are great and look like dummys but have a 'u' shapped rubbery thing which they chew on and my LO loves it. you can also put the teething gel on it so they massage it into their gums!! bus yes it is horrible listening to them cry and not being able to do much. x

ThePippy Mon 10-Oct-11 12:32:11

Hi candy. My DD did the same thing with milk (would take a couple of ounces then would refuse and cry if you tried to give more - no other reflux symptoms like being sick etc) and was showing classic teething signs (including whiteness in gums) from a very early age about the same as your child. Turns out she didn't get a single tooth until she was almost 14 months old so be careful about attributing too many things to possible teething. In the end, at about 3.5 months the doctor prescribed baby gaviscon for silent reflux which worked a treat and she would happily drink a much more normal amount of milk from that point. We ended up weaning her to solids slightly earlier than recommended, at about 4.5 - 5 months, and it was the best thing we could have done and seemed to settle her no end and increased her ability to drink milk at the same time.

candy11 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:18:07

hi thepippy i took my LO to the docs again today as it was a really bad day only taking 1oz here and there she said i should not worry as he is still putting on weight but he is now 13 weeks and its still happening. i just dont know what i should do now. i was thinking about weaning a bit early as he is so intrested with food when he watches me and my partner eat. but i have no clue on weaning.

tinkerbelleworkshop Tue 11-Oct-11 13:10:53

My DD was the same at 12 weeks. I used Ashton and Pasons powders to relive the sore gums and to help her belly. They are herbal powders and you can use 1/2 a sachet for under 6 month olds. Helped her loads!. Try your local pharmacy or tesco, if they have them they will be behind the counter. Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now