Talk

Advanced search

To get rid of the dummy or not?

(4 Posts)
misshoohaa Fri 30-Sep-11 15:02:55

My ds is 15 weeks and his sleep is pretty average I think, he goes from 7-8pm till anywhere from 12pm-2am and then usually another feed before 7am. His day time naps are rarely more than 50 minutes.
Whilst I'm pretty haPpy with what he's doing I'm a bit worried about the 4 month sleep regression as he's hugely dependant on his dummy to get off to sleep (and swaddle, White noise etc!) and worried he might start waking more and more often for it. He is exclusively breastfeed.......
I'm wondering if I should get rid of it now before it becomes an issue, but I know it's going to be tough and tearful. He is really good at self settling WITH the dummy so I am worrying more about what might happen rather than what IS happening...... It does fall out whilst he's sleep most of the time and he seems to sleep thru it, but his little mouth is still doing the sucking action!

Does anyone have little ones who haven't had an issue with the dummy? All you seem to hear horror stories about dummy use!

AKMD Fri 30-Sep-11 15:17:10

DS had a dummy but he started spitting it out at around 4 months and so hasn't had one since then (although he is quite good at going up to children with a dummy in and taking theirs, although not to suck! hmm).

As it's helping your DS to sleep I would give it until 6 months before you start the no-dummy battle. He doesn't wake up and cry if it falls out so I don't think it will be too much of an issue and he is still really little.

Firawla Fri 30-Sep-11 15:20:56

my 21 months still has his with no issues with sleep. he can sleep without it so not totally dependant but he just likes it & sleeps easily with it. obviously theres just the problem of getting them off it eventually.
hes the only one of mine whos really liked dummies & i would say he is the easiest & best sleeper because of the dummy, so no horror stories here although dunno how it will go when i get rid of them

misshoohaa Tue 04-Oct-11 17:48:03

Well we've been going dummy free as the little man decided he was going swaddle free which meant he was constantly knocking it out....
About 32 hours in and he's only had it once and so far so good. More tears to get off to sleep but sleeping better, he has taken to sucking a muslin and is desperately trying to get his fingers in there!

I'm not completely sure we'll be cold turkey all the way as I don't want hysteria but so far so good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now