Talk

Advanced search

How long after your DC learnt to walk could you cope without a pushchair?

(44 Posts)
LaWeasel Fri 30-Sep-11 14:13:43

And what kind of distances did you regularly walk?

Wondering if AIBU!

wannaBe Fri 30-Sep-11 14:20:56

I never had a buggy - I had a back carrier.

Ds started to walk just after his 1st birthday. Once he could walk confidently (about fifteen months) I let him walk short distances, so from the gate of the park to the end of the path, then a bit further, and so on, until he could walk from my house to the park, or back. By the time he was around eighteen months he could walk from the park to the shops and back although we didn't always do so.

By the time he was two he was out of the carrier altogether.

Personally I think that the earlier you start getting them to walk the quicker they get it. Do it while they're still keen and they'll get there.

rubyslippers Fri 30-Sep-11 14:22:42

DD is much more into walking than her brother ever was

She would happily walk all day wihtout it (however, we still use the buggy in a school run etc or it would take 3 times longer to do )

She is 2 and walked at 15 months

Flyonthewindscreen Fri 30-Sep-11 14:48:29

Mine walked at 15 months and 13 months. I would have left the buggy behind for short distances (ex. 5 minute walk to the shop) at about 18 months and stopped using it regularly around the village when they went to playgroup at 2.6 (mainly because I didn't want to look a wally walking home with an empty pushchair). Stopped using it for longer days out at about 3.6.

LaWeasel Fri 30-Sep-11 14:55:21

DD is 2.5, she didn't walk at all until 18mths (even at home) we walk a minimum of 2miles a day, every day, but I had just blithely assumed that if I encouraged her/made it fun/bribed her she would manage and it really isn't working that way at all so far!

Had a horrific mile walk yesterday which took two and a half hours, almost all of which she spent on the floor having raging tantrums.

AKMD Fri 30-Sep-11 15:07:25

DS started walking at 11 months and I packed the pushchair into the loft on his first birthday after his first outside walk. It took a while of me holding his hand to help him balance over short distances at first but he was soon running around with no problems, a lot sooner than friends' babies of similar ages who are still in puchchairs.

I drop him at nursery on my way to work in the car and pick him up on the way back so we tend to use the car a bit more than we should, but he will happily walk for a couple of miles before he needs a rest. And when I say 'needs a rest' I mean he will sit on the floor and refuse to move.

WorzselMummage Fri 30-Sep-11 15:14:15

I still used the buggy for dd when she was 3 and had just started nursery, we had stopped by the time she was 4.

Ds is almost 3 and I don't expect to be ditching the buggy any time soon.

AMML Fri 30-Sep-11 15:49:34

We ditched buggy when DD was 3.3 years - which coincided with her starting nursery.

DeWe Fri 30-Sep-11 20:15:12

Depends on your cicumstances. With dd1 she still sometimes used the buggy at 4yo because we didn't have a car and might well be walking a long way and she still had an afternoon sleep, so she would sleep in it.
Dd2 rarely used the buggy, she went from front carrier to usually choosing to walk from 12 months.
Ds has needed to use the buggy until 4yo for picking his sisters up from school, it's over an hour round trip, and in the evening when he's tired, it was just too much for him.

Meglet Fri 30-Sep-11 20:16:43

DS walked at 15 months.

I reluctantly gave up the double buggy when he was 4.7. I don't walk at toddler (or slow adult) speed.

We walk alot though, and I don't hang about.

Iggly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:18:10

DS is nearly 2 and has been walking since 10 months. I still use the buggy as does his nanny although he's fine without it. When it's just me and him I get him out as much as I can - but busy roads put me off doing it too much!
When DC2 arrives in December, I'll use the buggy even less (not bought a double) although might change my mind when the bad weather hits grin

PelvicFloorOfSpookySteel Fri 30-Sep-11 20:34:54

DS1 learnt to walk at 15 months is still using the double buggy aged 3.4, for a variety of reasons:
It's there, if I don't take a buggy he will walk for longer, if it's there he'll ask to go in.
We need to get around quickly, I walk everywhere and often I just don't have time for toddler dawdle.
He's a bolter and generally I can't chase after him as it means abandoning DS2, it's much easier to have him strapped into something.
He's a bit lazy (although not when it comes to running off, for that he has endless energy).

I'd like to ditch the double soon but if I have DS2 in the carrier and DS1 really kicks off I can't carry both of them so I think I'll just have to wait.

RitaMorgan Fri 30-Sep-11 20:38:16

DS walked at 11 months, now he's 14 months and we still use the buggy if he is going to sleep while we are out - other than that I take him out with reins and a ring sling if he gets tired/we need to get somewhere quick. We have back carriers for longer trips.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 01-Oct-11 07:42:01

DD walked at one. We didn't get rid of her buggy until she was about four though.
We lived in very hot countries and didn't walk very much at all.
Somehow we accidently left it at Melbourne airport [sink]
She survived and is very active now. It all depends on circumstances IMO.

BlueberryPancake Sat 01-Oct-11 09:02:19

I kept the buggy up to 4 years old, I had a very light weight Maclaren Volo and we used it in the end just for going for long days in London - visit museums etc - and the last time we used it was to carry our luggage on our way to Paris on the Eurostar! We used it regularly until he was about 3, after that it was just very occasional.

AngelDog Sat 01-Oct-11 13:22:14

At 21 m.o. DS can be relied upon to walk for perhaps 5 minutes before wanting to be carried. It's often longer, but you never know. He started walking at 14 or 15 months.

Mostly it's to do with convenience though. The 15-20 minute trip to town with pushchair takes DS 45-60 minutes to walk. If I got him to walk to places we'd never get anything done.

Daisy1986 Sat 01-Oct-11 21:41:39

My DD started walking at 12 months I walk everywhere about 5 miles a day so if I actually have a planned destination that we need to get to I always take the buggy as if I dont she'll be guaranteed to want to be carried and you have to juggle changing bags and what not.

However we normally go on a short walk where the point is mainly just to walk before dinner either to the park, splash in puddles when its rained etc, collect leaves/conkers/pinecones, or just look at minibeasts. For this we just go at her pace and return home when ready.

boohoobabywho Sat 01-Oct-11 22:00:56

i cant remember when the buggy went but it was early... by the time she was 4 we were regularly walking 8 miles, for fun, on a weekend.

it ws something we did as a family and she loved it, but i'm not claiming that we were quick.

IMO hardest thing was carring the bags myself instead of slinging them over the buggy!

Arrogantcat Sat 01-Oct-11 22:28:48

Aged 4 with DC1 and looking like it's going to be the same for DC2 who turned 3 last monrh. We don't however have a car during the day, walk everywhere and have places we have to be on time.

AnxiousElephant Sat 01-Oct-11 22:36:19

Depends what you mean - day to day dd1 was 20 months but for walking round the steam fair all day 5 yo we use a trolley! DD2 very early 19 mths everywhere except the SF which involves miles of walking for several hours and even then she copes ok, just has a ride for 10-15 mins or a bit longer in the evening.
For the school run, days out not since 2 yo.

Tyr Sat 01-Oct-11 22:41:06

Mine is 4 and we really only use the buggy for airports now.

AyesToTheRight Sat 01-Oct-11 23:04:14

Both DS and DD walked at 15 months.

Really can't remember when DS stopped using a pushchair - I had a double P&T so that would have been around for a while - I'm pretty sure he had stopped using a buggy by 3 but no real idea when blush.

With DD it was 3.5 and I decided to stop her using it. I realised that I was guilty of being a bit late to get to school to take DS without shoving her in the buggy and going fast to take him there and that she was getting used to just sitting around. She was fine and I could definitely have done it earlier. But I don't think I would have done it before 2.5 or so.

Wafflenose Sat 01-Oct-11 23:22:34

DD1 started walking soon after she turned one, and by 18 months was happy to walk all around the village, so we only used the buggy for longer trips. When she was coming up for two, I was embarrassed about pushing her around town (did not realise it was the norm at the time!) so she was out of it by her second birthday and has walked ever since. When DD2 came along, I was a bit more relaxed, and also had an older child to manage, as well as the shopping etc. DD2 walked at 10 months but I didn't put the buggy away until she was about 2.8

SurprisEs Sat 01-Oct-11 23:29:22

DD is 2.2yrs and started walking at 13 months. I use a buggy if we're out all day because she still has a nap but she doesn't sit in it whn she's awake. Hates it. I think it was about 4 months ago when I began to leave the stroller at home unless we had a long say ahead. I don't drive so we walk a lot.

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 01-Oct-11 23:34:57

DD walked at 14 months and walked short distances from around 18 months. After 2.5 she never used the buggy at all, even if we were out all day (because DS was in it !)

DS walked at 10 months. He's 21 months now and would walk everywhere given the choice but he is a bolter so I wrestle him into the buggy for anything except very short distances (i.e. less than 1/2 mile) or walks around open spaces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now