Talk

Advanced search

when did your DC start to smile?

(21 Posts)
Rootatoot Thu 29-Sep-11 22:45:11

ok, so i'm probably being a paranoid first time mum, but my LO is now nearly 9 weeks old and he isn't smiling yet. I've seen one or two, but they are very fleeting and I'm sure are just wind. He is a very windy baby actually. He also doesn't really look at me. He responds to sound and I'm sure he likes looking at trees moving outside but according to the week by week develpment stuff i've read, it doesn't sound like he's doing what he should be. He doesn't hold my gaze I don't think.

He was born 3 weeks early but they class him as full term as he was born at 37 weeks (only just as born after midnight).

So, when did your babies start to smile ?

mancinleics Fri 30-Sep-11 00:04:10

At about 6 weeks, but only if something really amused her. Have you tried pulling very silly faces? Blowing raspberries etc? If you're concerned have a word with your HV at the next stay and play session at your sure start centre. All babies develop at different rates. Don't worry.

lollystix Fri 30-Sep-11 00:47:53

Ds2 was born at term and only started smiling about 9 weeks when ds1 had started at 6 weeks. I also think your ds was 37 weeks he could just be a couple of weeks later. Give him another few weeks and I bet he'll be smiling for you.

MrsMooky Fri 30-Sep-11 06:34:10

My dd is 6 weeks, born a week late, and not smiling at all yet other than at the ceiling! She's also really not big on eye contact. Really worrying, but she seems like a happy cuddly little thing - just not smiling. I am also trying not to worry about it, I think 6-8 weeks is 'normal' but babies do fall on either side of this range. Hope we both get some smiles soon.

DeWe Fri 30-Sep-11 10:07:08

Mine were all different. You have to allow at that age the 3 week prematurity will effect it too:
Dd1 very definite smile at exactly 5 months. She is now a very serious child.
Dd2 I struggled to have a definite smile until she was about 4 months old. She would do one, but closed mouth, so I wasn't certain it was a smile until that bit later. She's now a very smiley child.
Ds he did real smiles from 1 week. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but any face coming towards him and he just smiled and smiled. He had a bad reaction to his 2 month jabs and didn't smile for a week which was really worrying. With the others it wouldn't have been as noticable.

Mine all smiled at faces, not something that amused them. If I looked at them, caught their eyes and smiled was the time they did the real smiles at first.

Primafacie Fri 30-Sep-11 13:13:37

My son was 6 weeks early and smiled at 12 weeks. DD (born at 38 weeks) had smiled at 6 weeks. They really are all different.

Janoschi Fri 30-Sep-11 19:31:48

I can't remember when but it did seem like ages, same with eye contact and interest in toys. Think it was 11 weeks for smiling and eye contact but now at 19 weeks she won't stop giggling so please don't worry.

ShowOfHands Fri 30-Sep-11 19:39:17

DD was 2 weeks

DS was 1 week

It varies baby to baby and there's a vast range of normal. In terms of the eye contact, is he looking around your face? At your hairline for example? Does his gaze slip away when you try and catch it, often to just stare at something random? All v v normal. They're seeking contrast. Eye contact and interaction will come later.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 30-Sep-11 19:40:55

Has he had his 6 week check? Did the doctor mention anything?

Agree that it varies hugely.

dottynosleep Fri 30-Sep-11 20:03:01

3 of my 4 smiled pretty much bang on 6 weeks (they were all 3 weeks early), my dd2 didn't smile until she was 11 weeks - she was also early but much smaller than the others, had prolonged jaundice & reflux. She's two now and I have no concerns about her development

Francagoestohollywood Fri 30-Sep-11 20:19:46

Ds started to smile at about 8 weeks.
Dd much earlier, at about 3 weeks. She was a very smiley baby.

daytoday Fri 30-Sep-11 20:26:06

My DD was two weeks early. We too were worried. Silly I know, and its my third! But lo and behold she started very slight smiles at 9 weeks. Loads of smiles by 11 weeks. I do think she is two weeks behind on everything so far.

Rootatoot Sat 01-Oct-11 22:41:52

He had his 6 week check this week but I didn't know that there was a general check up and thought he was just there to get jabs or I would have asked at the time. Unfortunately I don't rate the GP who did the checks & it was a 'pot luck ' appointment. I was thinking I'll perhaps wait till next week then pop up and get him weighed and asked the HV (who is fab) then.

I do think he has started better eye movement this week but isn't smiling. I asked my 'mum of two' friend today about her LOs and she said hers took ages and they're all different so feeling bit more reassured.

My DH was very jaundiced when he arrived too and difficult birth so maybe all these things have an impact. I don't know.

Does seem to vary a lot. He's wriggling now as I type so my cue to go. Nappy time yet again! Thanks for replies.

mousymouse Sat 01-Oct-11 22:57:53

ds only started to smile around 8w old but had the first milk drunken sleepy grin at around 4w. he was quite jaundiced at birth and very sleepy the first weeks.

dd smiled when she was a few minutes old. took us by surprise.

yellowkiwi Sat 01-Oct-11 23:04:11

My DS was born at 38 weeks and didn't smile at all until he was 10 weeks. I remember being quite worried about him and he did seem quite an unhappy baby. Fine now though.

zimm Mon 03-Oct-11 10:36:30

About 8 weeks for DD and she was born on her due date.

ShowOfHands Mon 03-Oct-11 10:42:37

I always find it strange that they smile in the womb lots and then don't smile once they're out. It must be a bloody shock for them. Poor sods.

Our hv runs the local parent craft classes (they borrow ds for demonstrating bath time and nappy changes) and they cover smiling as one of their topics (along with copying, cooing etc). They use it as an example of learnt behaviour and why babies need good, consistent interaction with their primary caregivers. Because all babies are different but they smile in response to you smiling at them. They might get there in their own time but it's a good excuse to sit around grinning inanely at your baby. DS smiles at my nipple more than he smiles at me. hmm

MrsMooky Tue 04-Oct-11 10:07:47

Mine finally started smiling on Saturday!! So almost seven weeks here. She mostly saves them for the dog, but I've had a couple of fleeting ones..

Rootatoot Wed 05-Oct-11 22:49:01

Well still no smiles that I'm sure aren't wind yet but I do think he's come on a bit this week. He seems to look more purposefully at me and his daddy, and I'm sure he's nearly there with smiles. I'm going to get him weighed with the HV next week so if nothing doing by then I will definately talk to her about it. DH&I are smiling inanely so if mimickry is the thing then shouldn't be a problem!

Rootatoot Mon 24-Oct-11 12:04:38

well, just to say our little man is now smiling. He's not a hugely smiley chap but when he's in the mood he's very smiley at us and dog and giggles beautifully when we play with him and his toys! Think it's just taken him a while longer. Phew smile

Primafacie Mon 24-Oct-11 14:28:49

Great news Root, I remember the no-smile worry very well! Glad it's sorted, enjoy your serious little chap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now