Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping habits at 4 & 2/3 months

(10 Posts)
MarmiteMummy26 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:32:08

Hi, am first time poster and parent looking for some advice.... (sorry could be long and rambly)

My LO is nearly 5 months old and (luckily for me!) has always been a good sleeper. since birth always went back to sleep from a night feed pretty much straight away. I used to fall asleep with him in the bed but we got him out that habit and he is always replaced to his own cot now. at about 3 & 1/2 months he started sleeping 8 hours a night but in the last 2 weeks has started waking for feeds again. I know this is probably a growing spurt and am fine with that as he always gets himself back to sleep. I dont rock him to sleep any more he gets put to bed and falls asleep himself, which im glad about but......

last night he woke at 10 pm (bed time is between 7 - 8 pm as he gets grumpy) and would not go back to sleep (basically hystrerically crying) threw up most of his feed and woke every 20 mins until 4 am. I rocked him, walked with him even tried taking him into my bed but nothing worked. think he was a bit constipated as hadn't pooped all day and finally did one this morning when he woke me at 7.30 am in a better mood.

he's been fine today but took him to the doctor as was worried about a slightly high temp and he's fine.

tonight he went to sleep after a bit of grumbling and keeps waking - normally I replace his dummy and he goes back to sleep - but today I have had to rock him twice.

Wat do I do? my mum had advised letting to cry out instead of going in i.e leaving him 5 mins and going back but I dont know if Im brave enough and wouldn't do that to a unwell child. please help.......

bramblina Wed 28-Sep-11 21:33:55

Has he just had his imms? Could he be cutting teeth?

babyocho Wed 28-Sep-11 21:34:30

Could he be teething?

MarmiteMummy26 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:37:58

he is teething but has been teething for weeks and not been a problem. tried giving him bonjella (he hates it and screams!), dentinox (likes the taste but doesn''t last and finally nelsons teething powder which he seems to like and is working...

MarmiteMummy26 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:39:04

sorry bramblina missed that no not had any imms lately.

bramblina Wed 28-Sep-11 21:56:29

Have you begun weaning recently? That can play hell on their little tummies.

MarmiteMummy26 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:59:56

i started about 3 weeks ago. mosly baby rice, rusks, yogurt as heard the cold on teething gums helps and blended carrot. hasn't had any thing today as was worried about being constipated but he has burst out crying still half asleep four time tonight already!

bramblina Wed 28-Sep-11 22:24:58

It might be worth checking the consistency of the rice and rusk mixtures as they may be blocking him up a bit. Is he drinking much water with his meals? Re-reading your OP does sound like it was a poo issue and then you said yourself when he woke up after a poo was in a better mood so really sounds connected to me. How many meals a day does he have? What time does he have his last meal of the day? Maybe he's having trouble getting it down and it's affecting him at night. Don't mean to scare you! I try to imagine- their little gut has only had liquid to deal with then is given a solid substance a few times per day (perhaps) and it's quite a change!! HTH

MarmiteMummy26 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:20:38

thanks, he normally has some solids early in the day - just in case the new things were going to effect him I thought better during the day. he doesn't drink alot of water at all should he be having more? he only really has water if its hot outside or he looks like he could need some.
last night he woke a couple of times crying n had to be settled then when he woke at 11.45 i tried to feed him and he wouldn't take it 5 hours after last feed.
He went back to bed and 3.30 am drunk 6 ozs then threw most of it up on the floor!
this morning he drank him milk in installments of 3 ozs n hasn't been sick yet.

bramblina Thu 29-Sep-11 12:22:15

It's hard to say really, and I don't know about formula feeding+water+weaning, sorry. I guess it wouldn't harm to offer him more water along with his meals.
Maybe you should give the hv a call and ask her to come along at meal time to check the consistency to make sure it's not too thick for him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now