Talk

Advanced search

Been in tears over my 3yr olds behaviour today!

(5 Posts)
dribbleface Wed 28-Sep-11 15:29:57

Hi,

My little boy has always been quite determined but with very clear boundaries has always been reasonably behaved. He has never been spiteful to anyone other than me (and only then on a few occasions when he learnt quickly this type of behaviour will not be accepted).

Over the past few weeks his behaviour has got worse, more defiant and challenging, hit me a few times (with a consequence). He started at pre-school a few weeks ago and settled very well, and has been at nursery 2 days a week since little (as i work, but on mat leave at moment so only 1 day at nursery and 2 am's at pre-school)

When i collected him today a little girl was leaning into him, just chatting, perhaps a bit in his space but being lovely. He turned and tried to elbow her, narrowly missing her face. i told him off and asked him to apologise, to which he threw himself on the floor and sobbed. I apologised to the little girl and mum (who was completely unfazed and nice about it).

I have been in tears since, i know i'm overreacting (39+1 weeks pregnant) and i know he is reacting to all the changes. He was not allowed any treats today as a punishment and has since told me (of his own free will) that when he nexts sees her he will tell her he is sorry and draw her a picture to make her feel better.

Did i miss anything, should i have handled it differently. feeling bad as i feel like i'm making him like this, and that perhaps i've not been as attentive to him lately, and also allowed too much TV, too many chances for an easy life.

Well done if you got to the end..........just feeling very low today sad

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 28-Sep-11 15:32:35

Aww bless you.
You handled it fine. He did wrong, he got told off, he had a tanty, he'll have forgotten it all by now.

And it will happen again!

Good luck with your last week or so of pg!

dribbleface Wed 28-Sep-11 15:34:30

Thank you, think i'm in full hormonal swing at the moment. DH will be home in an hour (yipee) and gonna have a take away and lazy evening.

I just guess i was naive that my DS would not hit (ridiculous i know)

GoldenHaze Wed 28-Sep-11 15:36:29

Sorry to hear about this. sad Impossible, isn't it?!

The only thing I picked up on was "He wasn't allowed any treats today as punishment." Surely a treat should be a reward, not an everyday thing? Is he a bit spoilt, possibly, perhaps? Sorry to ask!

dribbleface Wed 28-Sep-11 15:40:53

When i say treat i meant the cake he was eagerly awaiting....but he is most likely is a bit spoilt (PFB and all that). Food for thought there i think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now