Talk

Advanced search

7yo dd crying when I leave hosue in evening - anyone else???

(7 Posts)
CocktailQueen Tue 27-Sep-11 21:19:32

I don't go out THAT much, but recently my dd has started to be very upset when I do - surely a 7yo crying when mummy has to go out after she's in bed is unusual?? I was only going to the PTA this evening, FFS! Not out clubbing.... hmm She is anxious generally and she doesn't like being by herself when she's in bed. Have talked about it and read a boko about being anxious together and she has strategies to help her stop worrying but when she's tired she forgets to do them. Anyway - anyone else'ss dd that age get upset when a parent goes out? Or just me??

exoticfruits Wed 28-Sep-11 19:41:24

I found that 6 yrs was generally the time to get like that. I used to say that I took them around to see their friends and did things with them and it was my time and I wanted to see my friends. They generally saw that it wasn't fair to try and stop me.

cory Wed 28-Sep-11 20:39:19

Dd had to be physically unwrapped from my leg at that age. She has got over it since.

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 29-Sep-11 22:09:21

My 6yo is doing this. I go to choir every Monday night. Every Monday we have the same conversation. "I don't want you to go. Why do you have to go?"

Answer: Because it's fun and Mummy has a life of her own. Maybe some day she'll get it.

smugmumofboys Thu 29-Sep-11 22:13:35

DS1 went through a similar phase at that age when I taught evening classes which once even resulted in DH phoning me in absolute desperation during a class so that I could reassure him.

He's still a bit unsettled when I go out but he is very anxious and a fretter. He was very upset on the first night away with my parents recently and he's 9 now! DS2 (7) is always fine.

exoticfruits Thu 29-Sep-11 22:22:40

I have observed from mine, and from friends, that around 6 yrs is the age they don't like it-you just have to remain calm and keep going. It is a phase.

CocktailQueen Fri 30-Sep-11 15:00:24

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now