Talk

Advanced search

What is your 11/12 month old's sleep like?

(8 Posts)
ladyintheradiator Tue 27-Sep-11 09:54:34

Just wondering how many naps, for how long etc?

DD is 1 in a few weeks and up at 6.30 usually, naps from 9.00 to 10.00 (ish) and then 2.00 to 3.00 or so. Bed for 7.00 or thereabouts.

When do babies tend to start having just one nap a day? With DS, I was back at work by this point and I think being in nursery helped to get him napping properly, well he was a totally different baby so I can't compare. Just feeling a bit trapped by the morning nap, I thought we'd be getting out a bit more by now. But I should probably enjoy it while it lasts...

Holly66 Tue 27-Sep-11 14:25:43

My DS is 14 months and his naps are a bit all over the place at the moment (due a period of illness) but he seemed to drop down to a single nap just after he turned 1.

Normally he has an early lunch anywhere between 11 and 12 and then goes down after that. He sleeps for 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs sometimes depending on how busy the day has been. He only has one short nap at nursery when he is there 3 days a week though so he often needs to catch up on my days off and will sometimes want to sleep longer but I don't let him or bedtime will be a nightmare.

I remember too feeling trapped by the morning nap but if i'm honest I now feel even more trapped with the one nap as I know he must have it or he will be very grumpy for the rest of the day.

I actually quite liked the morning nap as me and DP used to be able to sneak back to bed at the weekends for an hour with the paper but that only works if you have one child!

Nevercan Tue 27-Sep-11 14:35:16

Can't dd1 have her morning nap in the car or pushchair if you want to go out and about in the morning?

ladyintheradiator Tue 27-Sep-11 18:34:31

Nevercan - if only... she used to be really great and would sleep wherever, and DP and I felt very pleased with ourselves as DS was just the same. Then she hit around 7/8 months and just would not fall asleep in the pushchair anymore. I tried blackout shades, no difference, and even mastered strapping her in back to front as she lays on her tummy in the cot, but she isn't having any of it. She will sleep in the car if tired enough but not for long.

Holly, thanks, maybe I should try and give her an earlier lunch, get her afternoon nap earlier and see if that encourages it? Sneaking back to bed sounds lovely but think my older child would complain wink I do force myself to lay on the sofa and do nothing on the days he's at preschool though, hard as that is grin

madmomma Wed 28-Sep-11 19:47:17

My son is 11 months and does pretty much exactly the same daughter. I've tried to give up the morning nap and make the afternoon nap longer, but he seems to need the morning one more, if anything. It isn't convenient, but neither is having him narky all morning!

Kiwiinkits Wed 28-Sep-11 23:28:29

Mine needs her morning nap at 9 still - she gets v. grizzly if she doesn't have it. Then another nap at 12.30 - 2pm, and sometimes ANOTHER one at around 4pm! I guess she likes her sleep. She has to be at home in her cot too, ladyintheradiator
I use her sleeping times to work so I'm happy with her sleeping!

Petisa Thu 29-Sep-11 00:01:41

I've just done away with my 13 month old's morning nap as her sister's in nursery now and I need to get stuff done and want to bloomin' well get out of the house in the morning. So she sleeps 8pm - 6.30am and then 1pm - 4.30pm nap. It was a bit rocky for a few days but she's used to it now and won't sleep if I lie down and try to feed her to sleep at 9am.

fruitychicken Thu 29-Sep-11 10:11:34

I've just started a very similar thread!! Hadn't spotted this one first!! I think we could maybe be approaching the one nap/day time too, althoughmy DD still appears sleepy in the morning, but has 'forgotten' how to lie down!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now