Talk

Advanced search

Nappy changing hell!

(20 Posts)
ZimboMum Mon 26-Sep-11 22:11:23

DS is ten months old and we're really struggling with nappy changes. He howls as soon as I sit him on his changing mat on the changing table and goes apoplectic if I try to lie him down at that stage. I end up taking his nappy off with him sitting/standing up, getting the new nappy ready and then lying him down amidst lots of tears and struggling to fasten nappy on before he rolls over. Usually I can get one side done and then do the other side with him sitting/standing up.

I'm getting so stressed out by this and dread every nappy change. He doesn't have nappy rash, I'm not rough, I give him toys to distract him and sing silly songs but nothing helps.

Any words of wisdom or advice on what I can do?

<chants 'this too shall pass'...but when?!!>

blackeyedsusan Mon 26-Sep-11 22:18:47

is the mat cold on his bum?

10 months seems a bit early for the changing mat wrestling to start... though my memory may be hazy. at one stage dd needed 2 people to change her if they were available as she was horrendous to hold down.

pictish Mon 26-Sep-11 22:20:04

Yes I think they all go through the fighting against the nappy changing thing....our kids sometimes took two to do it.

Sam100 Mon 26-Sep-11 23:20:40

Have you seen the rabbitt's changing mat? I don't know if they still sell them. We had one and it was around this age we got it!

Beamur Mon 26-Sep-11 23:22:08

I think I made a temporary switch to pull ups when the wriggling got too bad to handle - quicker on and off. Went back to other ones after a while.

frutilla Mon 26-Sep-11 23:27:15

I just change mine on the bed....Maybe change to that just to see if the mat's the issue. Have found that when they have a sore tummy, they don't want be laid down and have legs lifted up.

SurprisEs Mon 26-Sep-11 23:32:15

I changed into pull ups and did most of it with DD standing. She always gated nappies and at 18 months she was taking them off day or night and peeing everywhere!

Graciescotland Mon 26-Sep-11 23:58:40

This too shall pass hopefully. DS is 13 mo and lying on the change mat is a distant memory.

TBH I normally just change him standing up (low shelves of toys in his bedroom means he stays in one place) the trick is to fasten first side any way you can then fasten second side properly and then go back and do the first side. <choosing battles>

ZimboMum Tue 27-Sep-11 03:26:58

Thanks all. Have tried changing him on our bed, the floor, my knee....you name it! Will probably try pull ups just for sanity, or pick my battles and resign myself to just doing the whole operation standing up!

Glad it's not just me though!

allset Tue 27-Sep-11 03:48:36

Another vote for pull ups. For both mine it happened at about 10 months and they went into pull ups for a few months until they would lie down again, they back to normal nappies. Dc3 is very soon going to need to need the same approach

rumcrumble Wed 28-Sep-11 06:17:31

Try giving keys or anything he's not normally allowed to play with, tv remote etc. Ds started this about 9 months and it's a shock at first but you get used to it.

Beaurevage Wed 28-Sep-11 09:29:45

My DSIL became a master at changing the twins nappies while standing. It was amazing to watch! And she had a smile on her face the whole time!

alana39 Wed 28-Sep-11 10:05:38

Old phones or remotes are the only things that will appease DS3. And he has managed to hide those so we're back to screaming and fighting...

ZimboMum Wed 28-Sep-11 12:22:34

Well it's day two of pull ups and slightly less tears. He cries as soon as he sees his changing mat and clings on to me so we bypass all that and sit on a chair.

Tried phones/remotes etc but nothing seemed to work.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Wed 28-Sep-11 20:47:23

I fastened a really loud bright rotating mobile above the changing mat. I wind it up as I sit him down and it buys me a good 10 -15 seconds.

Daisy1986 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:12:07

I got pretty efficient changing DD while she stood up when we went through this untill I realized she was big enough for pull ups and everything got a lot easier.

She grew out of this phase but took a few months and when ever shes ill she normally gets nappy rash and I have to revert to pull ups as she wont lay down.

You could try moving the changing mat into a room with the tv and letting that distract your DC

Daisy1986 Wed 28-Sep-11 21:13:14

If its the changing mat he doesnt like why not try a towel instead?

hillyhilly Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:06

Put the mat on the floor, and put one leg across his chest - I could not do pooey ones standing up.

Whyriskit Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:16

Accidentally bought my 13 month old pull-ups when we were on holiday last week, made a huge difference. Unfortunately we're now back in our reuseables so I'm constantly giving him stickers to distract him.
I think the only thing which would make him lie still would be to offer him boob, but I'm not sure how I could physically manage that one!

SurprisEs Wed 28-Sep-11 21:16:50

Re nappy rash. DD suffered severely from it whenever in contact with wipes and I'm sure the nursery were using it as she often came home very sore. I bought a baby bath for them and agreed with the manager she would be bathed everytime she pooped as they appeared to not be using cotton wool and water as recommended. They soon gave up on the wipes as bathing every other nappy change seemed like too much work!

Sorry, off topic a bit but I just remembered it when nappy rash was mentioned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now