Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Prem 4 month old development

(7 Posts)
SavannahRose Mon 26-Sep-11 21:51:05

my DD was born at 35 weeks so 5 weeks premature. She is not 19 weeks old and I wondered where she should be with her development now? Can anyone advise?

chipmonkey Mon 26-Sep-11 23:11:25

For the first couple of years, you subtract the degree of prematurity from her actual age to get her "corrected" age.
So your dd's corrected age is 14 weeks and her development should be that of an average 14 week old.
Babies do vary though, so it is just a guideline.

FeralGirlCambs Tue 27-Sep-11 16:52:18

I'm interested in this one too - dd born 7.5 weeks early, 16 weeks ago (so 'should' be 9 weeks). Do others have experiences of being more advanced in some areas than others? ie more like 16 week old in some ways, more like 9 week old in others? Which things tend to be more in line with real age and which with corrected?

kellieb7 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:25:58

As chipmonkey said all babies are very different but my DD was born at 34 weeks and has appeared to develop in accordance to her actual age rather than her corrected age and infact has actually being quite advanced in relation to crawling/rolling etc. I havent noticed anything so far that she appears "behind" in and she is now 9 months old.

chipmonkey Tue 27-Sep-11 22:36:12

I think by using the corrected age, it means that if a baby is not as advanced as an average baby of her actual age, that the parents should not worry. My dd is 6 weeks old today but was born at 28 weeks. So I therefore should not expect her to smile, for example until December.
Having said that, ds3 was 8 weeks prem and smiled on his due date, probably because he had at that point been exposed to people smiling at him, which of course he wouldn't have been, had he been in the uterus

chipmonkey Tue 27-Sep-11 22:40:56

Oh, I was told that from the point of view of weaning that you should observe the actual age rather than the corrected age. The reason for this is that prem babies don't get the same chance as other babies to build up a reserve of iron. So their iron stores are poor compared to other babies and they will need to start solids earlier. But may need things pureed rather than trying finger foods and BLW which require better physical and neurological development.
FWIW, dd now aged 6 weeks, seems to me to be behaving like a typical newborn, even though I am still supposed to be pregnant.

FeralGirlCambs Wed 28-Sep-11 10:30:02

Yes, I was told same re weaning - HV said any time from 17 weeks actual (Ie about 10 weeks corrected in my case). My dd smiled at about 5 weeks corrected and is rolling over, holding her head up well etc now at 8 weeks corrected (got that wrong yesterday! - she's 16 weeks actual on 2nd October) She also grabs and bats at things. I think all this would be 'early' going by corrected age but is average to late going by actual age as all these are 2-3 month milestones? Anyway, good luck with everything Savannah - I remember you from the pregnancy forum. Hope all has gone well and you did not have too much hospital time etc? My dd turned up out of the blue while we were on holiday in Spain at 32.5 weeks, and has been super healthy from the start, though we had two weeks in a Spanish incubator due to tininess. She's gone from 4lb to 12 since birth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now