Talk

Advanced search

dummies for an 18month old toddler

(5 Posts)
iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-11 12:57:56

hi there - my son has always had dummies for sleeping in his cot and I don't want to take them away just yet.

BUT - they all seem to say 6 - 18 months and i can't seem to find any that are for 18months +. Is this because it is medically (or orthodontically - if that's even a word) recommended for them to stop having at 18 months?

My son gets a lot of comfort from his dummy at bed time but if it will be bad for his teeth i guess i should figure out a way to say bye bye to the dummies!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

An0therName Mon 26-Sep-11 14:34:36

does he have in the day - because if it is strictly a night things I wouldn't worry over much - I think if they have them in the day it can interfere with speech - I have know loads of children that have had them until they were 21/2 or so and their teeth are fine

sc4rl3t Mon 26-Sep-11 14:35:51

A good way to say bye bye to dummies or make any changes is to use a holiday as a transition. this started when my DH threw DD's dummy off the x-channel ferry - he was fed up with it and kind of embarrassed I suppose. Anyway the holiday distracted her and by the time we got back it had been completely forgotten.
This also worked with moving cot from my bedside to DD's own room - you come back, your house looks all different, and it doesn't seem like a sudden big deal to be in a different room. Makes sense to me anyway!

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Mon 26-Sep-11 14:37:11

my son who is 2.9 still has his dummy to sleep with, NOT during the day i must add before i get flamed, I just use the same MAM ones i always have, considering he's just falling asleep with it i think it's fine, the dentist has never said anything to me bout his teeth being wrong and his speech is fine smile don't worry too much about it.

iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-11 15:08:10

yes - he only has it to sleep at night time but it's in there for a good 12 hours! Do you think i should be looking for an 18month + one?

I like the idea of holiday as a transition but TBH i am happy with him having it to sleep for a while more - whenhe's a bit older and can understand maybe the dummy fairy can come but at the moment it's fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now