Talk

Advanced search

10ms not crawling...can't work out what to do on stomach...normal?

(18 Posts)
gobblygook Mon 26-Sep-11 12:33:06

My nearly 10 month old sits up for hours, rolls a lot if necessary, swivels around, reaches far but he's not crawling.

He can't seem to work out what to do. When on his belly, he flays his legs around a lot as if he thinks that's what he needs to do to get somewhere. He can push himself up on his arm, but he doesn't seem to understand to bring his legs in. He looks like he's swimming, if that makes sense.

He's been like this for about 1-1.5 months. Is it normal? Should I be worried? i don't think there are any underlying issues...

I don't care if he does or doesn't crawl, just want to know this is normal, IYSWIM

Advice welcome, thanks

Holly66 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:05:21

Hiya!

Please don't panic. My DS didn't crawl until 11 months. He just wasn't that bothered by it. In the end the thing that finally got him crawling was a combination of starting nursery, he watched the other babies and learnt off them but his desire to chase my gran's dog was the main thing that got him going.

Is he a big lad for his age by any chance? DS is on the 90th centile which can sometimes cause them to be a bit later as they have more weight to shift.

Hope that helps x

gobblygook Mon 26-Sep-11 14:14:15

Not panicking! Just wondered if it was normal for him to really not have the hang of it.

He's not big, but he's got short legs and arms but a bigger head so that might have something to do with it?

I am just curious. I think he gets frustrated

fruitychicken Mon 26-Sep-11 14:18:22

Our DDis 11 months & took off crawling in the last week. Your post could have described her at 10months!!She too got the hang of it by watching others at nursery I think!!

gobblygook Mon 26-Sep-11 14:19:48

Oh that's good fruitychicken.

Problem is he's not in nursery hmm.

mousymouse Mon 26-Sep-11 14:22:49

don't try to worry, sounds like he is very nearly there smile
BUT for your peace of mind you could talk to your hv about this.

squiggleywiggler Mon 26-Sep-11 14:29:57

My DD didn't crawl until 13 months. She then walked at 15.5 and now at 19 months is running around like a nutter.

I had the odd day when I was worried but it's well within the normal spectrum so don't stress.

And enjoy being able to plonk him down and know he'll stay there...

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Mon 26-Sep-11 14:31:00

Sounds similar to my almost 10mo. Though he does eventually get himself forward by swimming/dragging himself forward. He has also learnt to drag himself short distances on his bottom, and is a dab hand at sliding crawling backwards.
He started nursery 2 days a week last week where he is the only non moving baby, am hoping it helps him.
Think it's all perfectly as some babies never crawl, and if he can get where he wants by rolling etc he is probably less inclined to try and crawl.

Holly66 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:36:26

Actually just remembered that my newphew is 12 months and still not crawling too.

ILoveDolly Mon 26-Sep-11 14:38:55

DD1 never crawled - would scream if left on front for tummy time. First time she moved was learning to cruise aged 12m. Now is nearly 6 years old and the jumpiest bean in the box. I'm pretty sure it's normal to be 10m and not crawl.

gobblygook Mon 26-Sep-11 16:57:22

Thanks all.I don't think it's worth speaking to HV. Apart from the fact she is totally irritating and doesn't seem remotely on the ball, I don't think it's a development issue. Maybe he's just lazy hmm. But yes, it is within the range - it's just his mates are climbing all over the place so I feel a bit put out. Ridiculous huh!

Cosmosis Mon 26-Sep-11 17:01:21

My ds didn’t crawl till 11m either, and now (12) is lightening fast!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 26-Sep-11 17:02:14

Don't be put out - enjoy it while it lasts! If it's another 5 months down the line, maybe start to worry a little. But for now, as squiggley says, enjoy being able to know he'll be where you left him! When he's climbing your bookcase you'll be longing for the days when not crawling was the worry wink

>>goes to peel DD1 off the bookcase for the 15th time today<<

Cosmosis Mon 26-Sep-11 17:02:35

I meant 12m not 12y!

cairnterrier Mon 26-Sep-11 17:04:09

DS didn't crawl until he was at least 11 months and then didn't walk until 17 months. All completely normal. Look on the bright side - enjoy the chance to sit down and enjoy your tea in peace before you have to be running around everywhere!

happygilmore Mon 26-Sep-11 18:26:43

Completely normal, DD was similar..took her months of getting nowhere, it was a determination to get the cat that did it in the end at about 12 months I think. She's 16 months and still not walking, but standing now. She never rolled either.

Crawling isn't a baby milestone as such - some children just stand up and walk, some bum shuffle etc. 10months is very young still so no need at all to worry.

gobblygook Mon 26-Sep-11 19:34:30

thanks all...am sure he'll just click like he did with everything else...and you're right, enjoy myself why it lasts!

Allboxedin Mon 26-Sep-11 19:40:52

My dd had a very short period of crawling and always hated time on her tummy. We thought she would never get anywhere without doing the crawling/tummy time first but she was up and walking at 10 months. I guess some children just miss out that stage! I think she only rolled about twice too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now