Talk

Advanced search

dummy question

(4 Posts)
boredbuthappy Sun 25-Sep-11 20:29:09

Has anyone tried cutting the end off of the dummy, progressively over a period of a few nights, gradually getting shorter and shorter, as a means to get rid of the dummy altogether? I have heard of this method but have only ever heard of 1 success story.

Would love to know if this has worked for people. My 6.5 month old is ADDICTED to his dummy and is the cause of cryikng at every waking period of every sleep cycle of EVERY NIGHT. Needless to say, it's getting tiring. I've thought about going cold turkey, but if this dummy clipping method could (painlessly) work, I'd like to give it a try, but want to hear more success stories before I go annihilating my dummy collection!

RitaMorgan Sun 25-Sep-11 20:34:48

I'm not sure it would work - surely once you snip the end off they can't suck on it?

Try the No Cry Sleep Solution book - there is a gentle method for weaning off the dummy in that.

SouthGoingZax Sun 25-Sep-11 20:35:26

I wouldn't.

get him a dummy bunny to hold loads of dummies at night and wait for a bit.
We went cold turkey over a single night when the Dts were 20 months and it was absolutely fine - no crying or anything.

Having said that the boys never had their dummies except for in their cots - maybe that made it easier.

girliefriend Sun 25-Sep-11 20:37:07

Never heard of this and tbh I wouldn't be happy cutting off bits of a dummy am guessing the baby would cotton on pretty quick as well!!!

My advice would be as soon as he is asleep take the dummy out of his mouth, keep dummys just for sleep times and occasionally if you are going out for the day 'forget' to take he dummy with you so he can learn how to settle without it - which fwiw he will do anyhow!!!

My dd had her dummy to help her settle at bedtimes until she was about 14months when I then decided she really didn't need it anymore so went cold turkey, we had one night of a bit of moaning and that was it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now