Talk

Advanced search

Weaning frustrations

(9 Posts)
Oscarsmum1 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:51:05

hello
Im struggling with weaning and its driving me mad! Ive been weaning DS for over a month now and all of a sudden he has started waking up screaming before his dream feed at 11pm (which we always used to have to wake him for). We'll finally rock him and soothe him until his dreamfeed and then he'll go back to sleep, only to wake at 2am onwards crying and generally being unsettled. Previously he slept through.
Im currently giving him milk at 7am, then breakfast (porridge and apple) at 8.30am, milk at 11am (only as much as he'll take), milk at 3pm, veg & fruit at 5.30pm and then milk again at 7pm. Am I doing this right or am i causing him tummy aches etc at night?

RitaMorgan Sat 24-Sep-11 18:53:26

How old is he and how much milk is he having?

Oscarsmum1 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:54:11

Hes 26 weeks and he's having 7oz in the morning, about 5 oz at 11am, approx 5 or 6 ox at 3pm and 6 oz at 7pm. The dreamfeed hes still having all 7 oz.

bankholiday Sat 24-Sep-11 20:57:40

After 6 months he should have at least 16 - 20 oz of formula (or vitamins drops if less), so the quantity is ok. Now that he is 26 weeks and can have almost anything, can you try giving him something a bit more bland for tea (rice, potato, chicken, etc) so it doesn't react with the 7pm milk?

Also, have you tried going without the dream feed, especially as he would have enough milk without it? I haven't dream fed DS (7 months) so have no experience of this, but I thought they are too old for it at 6 months?

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 21:05:13

when i weaned mine all 3 of them started wanting more milk
i don';t know if it was the food made them thirsty or something, but it was noticeable with each of them

have tou tried just feeding him when he is crying?

bankholiday Sat 24-Sep-11 21:28:24

Interesting, thisisyesterday, DS cut down on the amount of milk he drinks, he has between 500 - 600mls a day but only just. I am worried that if he drops a feed, he wouldn't have enough (he is 7 months old). He has only slept through once and even after 11 hours he only had 5 1/2 oz.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

thisisyesterday Sat 24-Sep-11 21:36:03

you can always make up food with formula/breastmilk if you're concerned. just use it in porridge or weetabix or similar. or even for making sauces and stuff

Wrongmoreoftenthannot Sat 24-Sep-11 22:23:04

what about giving the solids at lunch instead of dinner incase he has tummy ache?

Oscarsmum1 Sun 25-Sep-11 09:22:09

thanks everyone, Im going to try giving him his veg & fruit at lunch time today as it was another sleepless night last night. I'll see what the HV says but wont hold my breath for much common sense! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now