Talk

Advanced search

DS not weeing

(17 Posts)
BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 12:27:18

He is 4 months. Hasn't seemed himself and also hasn't pooed for a fewdays. Now he hasn't wee'd for at least five hours. He has just had an unusually long sleep (3 hours) and when I went in to check on him he was just lying there, eyes wide open but dead still. I dont know how long he was like that.

Should I be worried? Or is this normal? He is pfb so have no experience. TIA

Imnotaslimjim Sat 24-Sep-11 12:38:16

Are you sure he hasn't weed at all? Is he drinking/taking feeds ok? I would be a bit concerned to be honest. Can you call the out of hours dr? Or do you have a walk in centre or similar near you? I'd take him for a check up just to be sure he's ok

BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 12:44:48

He has been off food lastfew days (should have mentioned) but has eaten ok todayso far.

DeWe Sat 24-Sep-11 12:45:55

Is he responding to you? Try talking to him, do his eyes move, does he move his limbs? Is his breathing normal? Is he looking at theings, or just staring into distance?
Pick him up, is he holding himself up or is he floppy? Does he hold his head up?

If the answers above are no, take him to A & E straight away, if you're on your own or it's a distance, then consider an ambulance. If it's all normal no doctor will be upset, they've met worried parents before.

If the answers are yes then is he ill?:

Has he other signs of illness. Has he fed normally today? (if he's fed less he'll wee less) Is his temperature normal? (check back of the neck or tummy) Has he just had his 4 month jabs?

Sometimes they do go a long time between wee, then may do half a dozen in a short length of time. If he's breast fed then they don't poo everyday, my dd2 used to be 7 days between going. They do sometimes lie very still, often watching something intently. And sometimes, they suddenly have a much longer sleep than usual for no apparent reason.

Hope he's okay. It's hard to tell without seeing him whether it's normal or not. Trust your instincts, he should react to you.

BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 13:01:00

Thank you. He is responsive - the only reason we are not at a and e already. If he had not wee'd yesterday I would be less surprised but he has eaten ok since the late feed - 150 at 11pm, 100ml at 3am, 30ml water this morning then 150ml milk. So not huge, but not nothing.

He did have his jabs this week but that was Tuesday?

BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 13:03:05

If it was a week day, I would be down the doctor already. But feel a and e is overkill

DeWe Sat 24-Sep-11 13:06:41

Think that's probably very late for a reaction for those jabs, you'd expect it within 24 hours, if my memory's correct.

Try taking his nappy off. Sometimes they wee into a disposable nappy and if it's not a lot it can't be seen. Taking his nappy off may stimulate him to go, or if you lie him on a towel you'll be able to see if he goes, even if it's only a tiny amount.
However if he hasn't weed in, say, a couple of hours, I'd suggest phoning NHS direct; if he seems in any pain, or if his temperature is raised at all, or he goes unresponsive then go to A & E.

DeWe Sat 24-Sep-11 13:09:53

I know what you mean about A & E being overkill, I'd usually choose the GP (who is brilliant about seeing babies/children if you need to, straight away if necessary) but if he isn't weeing then you will need to see someone.

RitaMorgan Sat 24-Sep-11 13:15:06

Is there a walk in centre or something? Honestly, if it was my baby I would take him to see someone today, even if that meant A&E.

silverfrog Sat 24-Sep-11 13:18:46

if you are unsure whether he has wee'd, and he is wearing disposables, you can weigh the nappies. weigh a clean dry one, and use that number vs the weight of a worn one. he may be weeing tiny amounts.

I htink I would be taking him to see someone, if he were mine. he is clearly off colour - his reduced wee output, and the over-long sleep, coupled with the quietness on waking (which is unusal from what you suggest) is all out of the usual pattern.

the docotrs won't mind - they never do. it is better to check a baby who is well, than to miss a baby who is ill but not taken in.

mousymouse Sat 24-Sep-11 13:26:00

could well be the effects of the vaccine, they can make the baby feeling a little off colour for a few days.
do you know which jabs he had? you can ask the nurse for a copy of the package leaflet (I always do).
report any effects to the yellow card scheme

happygilmore Sat 24-Sep-11 13:28:18

I'd take him to out of hours doc to be checked over.

Octaviapink Sat 24-Sep-11 13:35:48

A&E isn't necessarily overkill - if you ring NHS Direct then they can talk you through some checks to do on him and they will advise whether to take him in. They can also contact the hospital directly so that if they do advise you to go you can be seen very quickly. However, he's been up for an hour now - how does he seem? Is he perky and responsive? What's his general state?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 24-Sep-11 15:26:11

coming to this a bit late but place a ball of cotton wool in the front of nappy, by willie, if it's wet at nappy change then obv he's weeing

hope he's okay

BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 15:43:54

I have called the out of hours doc. He is weeing again, but not himself still. If I combine all the minor things, it feels more serious. I didn't think to mention in original post but he's been coughing and choking, shAking at times etc. And while he is responsive, it's not in hos usual way.

Thanks all. Will let you know what dr says.

BertieBotts Sat 24-Sep-11 15:46:56

Glad you have contacted GP. Hope he is back to his normal self soon.

BlingLoving Sat 24-Sep-11 18:12:42

She thinks it's because of the shots. Has suggested calpol and achange in milk. So will see how we get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now