Talk

Advanced search

Why does my 2 year old hit me ????

(6 Posts)
loganberry12 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:00:39

My little girl has stated to hit scratch and pull my hair, she isn't doing it in an angry way either she laughs when she does it , she really hurts and it doesn't seem to matter what i say or do it doesn't seem to work. Ive tried telling her NO that hurts mummy its not nice and walking away from her ,ive tried shouting, ive even smacked her leg only lightly which she just laughed at and lunged for me again, and it made me feel horrible. I dont know why she has become spiteful because we never show her any violence and she doesn't see it at all, we never smack her, except that one time and it was more of a tap really. Has anyone else experienced this and have any ideas why she might be doing it. It seems aimed mostly at me and her daddy and mostly of an evening when maybe she gets a bit excited playing and tired.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 14:14:40

I think you need to move her well away from you when she does do it so she loses out on being close to you as a consequence.

Lots of kids go through this stage. My oldest didn't really but my youngest did. I used to scream when he hurt me which shocked him and he gradually stopped doing it. I don't think they realise it hurts as such.

You need to react with cross voice/face, don't be wishy washy about it for eg. telling her it's naughty whilst using a nice voice, the tone of voice needs to reflect the words you are saying.

heather1 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:20:43

2 year olds hit because they have discovered that they can. Also young children have quite low impulse control. I agree with WhoseGotMyEyebrows that you should make it very clear in a firm cross voice that "you do not his Mummy, it hurts" and then move her away from you or put her down. Also if her Dad is there he should also say just as firmly "you do not hit mummy" I used to make mine say sorry too and kiss or stroke it better. They dont fully understand but its the start of making them understand.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 14:22:45

Mine used to bite me right in the middle of a lovely cuddle . . . fucking hurt!

matana Fri 23-Sep-11 21:00:25

Please be reassured this is totally normal. My niece went through it at exactly the same age with my sister. My sister put a brave face on it, but was inwardly quite upset by it. My niece grew out of it almost as quickly as she grew into it. Lots of "ouch, that hurt mummy, no" before walking away and ignoring her.

MarnieM Mon 26-Sep-11 10:12:51

I'm having the same problem with my 2yr old son. He lashes out mainly at me and his 8mth old brother and I know the latter is mainly to get my attention (he clobbered him over the head with a big metal toy porsche the other day). I have tried a 'naughty step', taking toys away and making him face a corner. The problem I have with the naughty step and the corner is that he moves instantly so I have to almost hold him there, which means he has my full attention. I do explain that is not nice and to say sorry, which hedoes say. The more stern I get the louder he laughs. My worry is that he is now starting to lash out at other children (if they take a toy off him or if he wants what they are playing with). I have asked his nursery if he is hitting other children and so far he isn't and they are now keeping an eye out. I have caught him pushing a couple of my friends kids and then at the pub yesterday, in the sandpit, he threw a digger at another child's head. I took him away from the sandpit and told him that is not nice etc. etc. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now