Talk

Advanced search

When do babies walk more than crawl?

(6 Posts)
DesperateHousewife21 Fri 23-Sep-11 11:28:59

Ds is 14.5 months and he can walk on his own but still crawls more.

He walks more at home than anywhere else, at baby groups etc he mostly crawls as it's quicker I suppose.

I just wondered when he'll likely walk more than crawl until he's walking all the time as I just assumed once he learnt to walk he'd pick it up straight away and crawling would be a thing of the past.

I know all babies learn at their own pace but just wanted some other experiences of when babies start walking 'properly' sorry it's a bit waffly I hope people know what I'm on about!

MurunBuchstansangur Fri 23-Sep-11 11:32:42

My DS didn't walk until 16 months and then did it all the time.

My DD is 9 MO and can nearly do it, she is much more keen than he was. I think that there is such as wide range there is no way of telling grin

fairydusty Fri 23-Sep-11 11:36:49

My ds is 16 months and still does a bit of both - like you said mostly walks at home but at mums and tots he crawls. Two reasons i think is mums and tots is a big open space with lots of kids running round (he has been bumped a few times) so i think he feels a bit vulnerable walking there, second he can get places faster by crawling. I think its just one of those things that happens slowly over time x

Pootles2010 Fri 23-Sep-11 11:37:54

Sounds v normal! They just do whatever they prefer I think. DS bum shuffles, he's 14 months too, only just starting to be able to stand whilst holding onto something, can't pull up, and can't stand alone or walk.

Nursery worker said they'd only worry when he wasn't moving on his own (ie walking or crawling or bum shuffling) by 16 months!

ChunkyPickle Fri 23-Sep-11 11:38:30

I suspect this is going to be one of those 'every kid is different' - mine took his first independent steps one day, and 2 weeks later had stopped crawling entirely... he's very nosy though and has always been obsessed with seeing what's on top of tables.

DesperateHousewife21 Fri 23-Sep-11 11:51:42

Thanks for the replies, he took his first steps alone about a month or so ago and there's already an improvement since then so I suppose it'll progressively get better.

I'm just impatient and want him to walk so he can join in with the other tots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now