Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scared of the Hoover

(18 Posts)
LouLou525 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:00:25

My D is scared of the Hoover. It's more the noise that he's scared of.
I'm trying to get him used to it as opposed to doing the hoovering when he's asleep ect. I've tried to be really happy when hoovering I.e smiling when hoovering; stroking the Hoover and sitting down with it: however this is to no avail and he's still scared.
Does anyone have any ideas on helping him be less frightened?

bonkers20 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:19:33

Mine is scared of it, too. If I can't do it when he's out then I just get on with it.
He's 2 1/2 now so I can send him to another room while I carry on.

It IS a really noisy Dyson though.

I also think my DH is scared of it.....but that's another thread.

Sorry, I can't really help. I don't think you need to worry though, it's normal and he will grow out of it.

londonmackem Wed 21-Sep-11 22:27:06

I think it will be the noise, my DS doesn't like the hairdryer or blender either and keeps saying 'all done mammy!'

LouLou525 Thu 22-Sep-11 09:21:29

Thanks guys, it's always good to have reassurance smile

mummytime Thu 22-Sep-11 10:37:39

I was scared of it as a child, all my kids have been. I did get annoyed in hospital with no 3 and the cleaner went on about how babies love it and it settles them. Not in this family! Its probably the noise. My kids (and I) have all been a bit sensitive, no 3 still hates loud noises, and we don't like the touch of some things etc. None of us is Autistic BTW (something you may hear from "well meaning" people.)

AurraSing Thu 22-Sep-11 10:46:55

Both of mine were scared of the vacuum cleaner. I just avoided using it too much when they were about. But I can always think of something better to do than clean.

They did grow out of it and now enjoy using it themselves. Result.

jjazz Thu 22-Sep-11 21:22:00

I used to be able to hoover (and mow the lawn) 'around' my DS until about a week or so ago... he has suddenly become scared of loud machines he is 20 mts. He also lost it today when I climbed up on a (low) table to reach something. Weird isnt it...

LizzieMo Thu 22-Sep-11 21:47:45

Mine was scared of hand dryers in public toilets. Had a dreadful holiday where she would not use the public loos anywhere- just incase there was a hand dryer. She did grow out of it, but even now she occasionally puts her hand over her ears if she hears one.

UniS Thu 22-Sep-11 23:59:44

How old?

DS has got better with the hoover and other motor noises. at 2 I couldn't hoover with him in the house unless another adult had him and held his attention, gradully he has been convinced that I CAN NOT suck him up teh pipe, first we got to a stage where he would play in his room or hide on sofa while I did rest of house. The came his desire to wind up the power cord when I had finished.
Now age 5 he is not keen but will sit on his bed while I do his room or on sofa when I do living room. Occasionally he will "help"

Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 03:13:46

It really does get better. I posted a while ago about my dd being hypersensitive to noise. She would not go near a public toilet because of the dryers, she would covet her ears and run out crying if the vacuum cleaner or blender was on.

Anyway, things are much better now, I tell her when I'm about to vacuum or use the blender and she walks out of the room without much fuss. No crying or covering her ears.

I had to take her with me to the hairdressers yesterday and she was completely fine with the hand dryers going on and all. She wasn't bothered one bit.

She's 33 months now, so really it gets better.

matana Fri 23-Sep-11 21:04:44

DS (10 months) went through a stage like this. I hoovered with him in one arm once or twice and didn't make a big deal of comforting him about it. Just said "it's just a hoover, look, see it doesn't hurt mummy or you". Then i sat him on the floor and started to hoover around him. He eyed it suspiciously for a while, then got used to it and now it doesn't bother him at all.

DownyEmerald Fri 23-Sep-11 21:16:26

My dd was scared - if I really wanted (!) to hoover I'd put her in a carrier, which was hard work! She did grow out of it.

Octaviapink Sat 24-Sep-11 13:44:39

Don't mock his fear or just go ahead and do it anyway, thinking 'he'll get used to it'. Carry him around while you do it so he's safe, or do the vacuuming when your DC isn't around. You will be able to teach him that it's just noisy - not dangerous.

LouLou525 Sun 25-Sep-11 20:52:30

Thanks all, he's 15 months old. I think I'll try the "hold him in my arms" method and see if this works.
Pleased I'm not alone in this one though smile

Octaviapink Mon 26-Sep-11 08:14:25

You may find it also applies to the lawnmower, hairdryer and blender... Fear of loud noises is one of the two fears that are built in to our genes!

ChildofIsis Mon 26-Sep-11 08:16:36

My dd is 5 and only now can I hoover with her in the house, albeit in another room.
We also avoid handdryers. It's the loudness of the noise.
We both have very good hearing and I think we must be highly sensitive to noise.

Octaviapink Mon 26-Sep-11 12:01:24

Oh, and if you ever have to change a nappy on a train, the noise of the flush will be awful too.

AKMD Mon 26-Sep-11 12:26:44

grin at stroking the hoover!

DS is 18mo and hates the hoover when it's on but is fascinated with it when it's off. He likes to play with the brush attachments hmm I always make sure that he's either bein cuddled by DH or me while the other one does the vacuuming, or if I'm on my own that I talk to him while vacuuming and smile to show him that it's ok. He's a a bit suspicious of it and will run away from it but doesn't cry. I understand that it's scary for him - my parents used to make a 'game' of chasing me and my brother's feet while vacuuming so we ended up being scared of it too! shock We were at my parents' house on Saturday and my dad told DS that he was goig to vacuum his feet; I could have thumped him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now