Talk

Advanced search

Bottom wiping

(11 Posts)
Iceaddict Wed 21-Sep-11 21:01:29

sounds silly but, at what age should my DS be able to wipe his own bottom? I've been showing him how to do it but he came home from preschool with dirty pants today aged 3.6. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Sleepglorioussleep Wed 21-Sep-11 21:03:13

I have only recently stopped being asked by dd at well over five. She was able to by four.

alana39 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:06:16

Good luck, DS1 was 6 and my dyspraxic DS2 is still struggling at nearly 7!

MurunBuchstansangur Wed 21-Sep-11 21:09:36

I realised no one would do it for him at school so he would have been about 3.5.

I point blank refuse to do it for him, I just 'check' and he calls me if it's <boke> 'messy'.

I'd expect dirty pants TBH. More important that he tries. We have moist tissue at home, no access to that at school though.

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 21-Sep-11 21:12:27

I have the same issue as ALANA my dyspraxic ds is nealry 9 and he still doesn't do it. (he also has a range of other SPLD). My 6yo however is independent and has been since 5 (possibly earlier he is a looked after child.)

I have one child that poos on waking and one who goes just before they go to bed, hence neither have ever pooed at school, at a friends house, basically without me. So even the 7yo still gets checked, he does do it, but not always well.

Iceaddict Wed 21-Sep-11 21:15:41

Thanks, think we've been pampered by my excellent childminder. I'll have to keep at it and hope for the best. And then pray he washes his hands! I think if they ask him if he needs help he will say no anyway.

Sleepglorioussleep Wed 21-Sep-11 21:28:20

Flushing is the next thing!

Tgger Wed 21-Sep-11 22:34:06

Well, this has only recently become an issue now DS has started reception. Generally he goes after tea so that's ok- but not all the time so really does need to be able to do it properly. We're now getting him to do it himself- or strongly suggesting he does it himself (I do it when he's tired and he asks me!). I've told him that once he's 5 (next month), he'll need to do it himself all the time. Fingers crossed!

bumbums Thu 22-Sep-11 07:08:47

My DS has just started reception and he's an after lunch kind of a guy most days. Yesterday he came home stinking with skidders in pants and v.dirty bottom. He hadn't pooed at school, just tried to keep it in and some escaped.
I don't know how he'll ever make time to poo at school. I'm worried the other kids will smell him and be horrible.

MurunBuchstansangur Thu 22-Sep-11 08:09:04

I love DS's school because the reception have an 'en suite' toilet. I got him to use it on his settling in day, so he wasn't worried. When he told me he'd done a poo his fist day I was delighted grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now