Talk

Advanced search

Bottle holding

(18 Posts)
mummytasha11 Wed 21-Sep-11 16:13:16

How old was your dc when they started to give themselves their milk from a bottle? Sometimes ds will try but can't quite tip it up enough when it's nearly empty 
I secretly love giving him his bedtime bottle and don't want it to end

malinois Wed 21-Sep-11 16:27:24

DS was ebf until 6 months but worked out what to do with a bottle pretty quickly so I would say from 7 months, although he wouldn't have been able to drain the bottle if sitting up. Lying back he had no problem.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 21-Sep-11 16:30:41

dd2 could manage her own bottle in the last month or so. She's 11mo. i let her do her morning bottle so that I can get ready for work, but I still give her bedtime bottle as it's nice to cuddle up.

SpottyTeacakes Wed 21-Sep-11 18:19:36

Dd never held her own bottle and we got rid of it when she was a year old. She always held her own beaker though from when we gave it to her at six months

Janoschi Thu 22-Sep-11 19:23:09

DD (4.5 months) has been holding her own bottle for 2-3 weeks, though she doesn't often get the chance as she's almost exclusively breastfed and only gets a bottle if I'm working late. Can only do it lying down though.

happygilmore Thu 22-Sep-11 19:57:18

Crikey DD was 14 months I think blush

Gigondas Thu 22-Sep-11 19:59:20

Don't worry happy dd was about 14m too- she still is lazy about any food or drink nearly 2.5 years on

diggingintheribs Thu 22-Sep-11 20:02:27

Never - both of mine seemed to enjoy the cuddle as much as the milk!

mumatron Thu 22-Sep-11 20:15:23

Dd could do it at laying down at about 4 month but she still can't do it sitting now at 8.5 month.

She can give herself a beaker and has been doing so since 6 months.

I love giving her a bedtime bottle though. Especially since returning to work.

Janoschi Thu 22-Sep-11 21:35:48

DD is absolutely rubbish with beakers and doidy cups etc. Just chucks it everywhere. No idea why the bottle thing works but it might be because she tends to hold my boobs in the same way... which sounds a bit odd, I know.

Eglu Thu 22-Sep-11 21:37:40

Both DSes managed before they were 6 months. I did still hold it most of the time, but they did it occasionally themselves.

Firawla Thu 22-Sep-11 22:00:15

mine were not holding theirs til about 14/15 months? tbh they probably could have but they were not desperate to do so and i liked giving them it so didnt make them do it themselves til around that age

ShutchaBoat Thu 22-Sep-11 22:00:57

Both of mine were about 7 months old

mummytasha11 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:28:12

Thanks everyone smile

happygilmore Fri 23-Sep-11 15:51:30

blush In my defence I'm quite sure she could have done it months ago (she's had water from her beaker since before 6 months) but we both loved the cuddles.

Iggly Fri 23-Sep-11 15:53:55

Can anyone explain, or am I going mad, what is the emoticon in the OP? I'm on my phone and it's not on the list?!

AdamTech (MNHQ) Fri 23-Sep-11 16:11:46

Iggly

Can anyone explain, or am I going mad, what is the emoticon in the OP? I'm on my phone and it's not on the list?!

It's not a Talk emoticon like wink, it's actually a special character, much like ± or §, but there isn't any guarantee that it'll be available in every font, or that it'll look the same in every font, so in this case it comes up as an empty white box, which is the default, "character missing" appearance of a special character. Hope that makes sense. smile

(For those who know what it means, this is U+E40D, and you can see what it looks like in two fonts at the fontsupport page on fileformat.info.)

Iggly Fri 23-Sep-11 16:14:04

Ok - it looks like a surprised face to me with raised eyebrows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now