Talk

Advanced search

How do you get them to play in their rooms?PLEASE ANSWER IF YOU'VE ANY IDEAS.

(4 Posts)
redwill Tue 20-Sep-11 21:02:45

We are quite limited with downstairs space, but the two children (aged 5 and 3) both have big, nice rooms with lovely toys. However they don't play up there unless i put them there and shut the stair gate out of desperation! They will play in their rooms if I'm there, but not if I go away, Then they just argue/wine/cry / shout for me. When I'm downstairs they just hang around me and don't play. I do set aside time for playing/reading and going out and doing things/classes but surely I don't need to entertain 24/7???Does anyone know any tactics to help encourage that sort of play? Any ideas REALLY appreciated. :x

Baileysismyfriend Tue 20-Sep-11 21:52:51

My DD is nearly 13 and has never really played in her room, even now she prefers to sit with us than be upstairs. Just because they are downstairs doesn't mean you have to entertain them all the time though, if I was you I would just bring some toys down and see if they occupy themselves a bit more downstairs.

Loopymumsy Wed 21-Sep-11 05:51:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amistillsexy Wed 21-Sep-11 06:13:34

Give them each a basket and tell them to fill it with the toys they want from their rooms.
Then let them play with their 'basket toys' downstairs while you get on with your mumsnetting jobs.
Show a passing interest if they ask you to, but quickly get back up and get on with your own life. That way they get to be near you, you get to get on.
At bedtime they get to pack up their toys in their baskets, take them upstairs and put them away-and the house stays tidy!
Everyone's a winner! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now