Talk

Advanced search

Can a baby sleep too long??

(10 Posts)
loueytb3 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:19:25

DS3 is 15.5 weeks (11.5 corrected) but still sleeps an awful lot during the day. I struggle to get him to stay awake longer than 1.5 to 2 hours and if I go out of the house he will drop off in the car/buggy within 5 minutes, even if he hasn't long woken up. He still sleeps at night, it doesn't seem to make much difference to how long he sleeps during the day.

When I raised this with my HV she thought it might be a problem and suggested I tell my GP (I've got to go about something else on Friday). I am a bit over-sensitive about his development because DS1 has ASD so I'm watching him like a hawk and I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid. I am also wondering if sleeping for so long will mean he develops certain skills later than is normal.

pettyprudence Tue 20-Sep-11 18:31:45

my ds is 25 weeks and has only just started going 2 hours between naps. If he's out in the car, he can't resist the hum and drops off to sleep, even if he has just had a big nap. I think 1.5-2hrs awake time is probably about right. How long does he sleep for when he naps?

xBeingTheBestMummyICanx Tue 20-Sep-11 18:41:23

My DD was born 5 weeks early and like your DS slept a lot. I had one HV who told me when DD was about 2 weeks old, that she was sleeping too much and I should be trying to keep her awakeconfused

If your DS is feeding, growing and developing normally for his age then I would not worry. My DD was slightly behind with sitting up, crawling, walking etc compared to babies born at term but spoke earlier and now at 4 years old is ahead with reading and writing. Remember all children develop at different rates whether born premature or fullterm.

Octaviapink Tue 20-Sep-11 19:45:14

Blimey - DS couldn't go longer than 2 hours between naps till he was about 5 months! I wouldn't worry, tbh - just be thankful!

debka Tue 20-Sep-11 20:51:10

DD2 is 7 months and can just manage 2 hours between naps now. Don't fret. Sleep is also important for their development.

Daisy1986 Tue 20-Sep-11 21:05:12

My DD slept all the time when she was little again didnt start staying awake for longer then two hours untill about 5/6 months. She is very very tall for her age so think she did all her growing then lol. Checking with a GP wont hurt

Flisspaps Tue 20-Sep-11 21:08:57

They sleep when they're tired. Sounds pretty normal to me - he should be getting about 15 hours a day, which means 9 hours awake in total. Some babies will sleep more than that, others less smile

loueytb3 Wed 21-Sep-11 11:04:52

Thanks, you've really put my mind at rest smile. I think he probably does sleep more than the average but at least I know that others do too.

bishboschone Wed 21-Sep-11 21:14:00

My perm boy sleeps alot . He is 8 weeks corrected and can only manage maximum 2 hours before he sleeps again. He spent 4 weeks in scbu and they are 'trained' to stay still and sleep so they don't really know any different .I worry about it too but im sure it's fine .

bishboschone Wed 21-Sep-11 21:14:23

Prem !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now