Talk

Advanced search

Hmmm - so, when your child is unwell enough to come home from school, do you insist they stay in their rooms and/or in bed?

(7 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 19-Sep-11 21:47:32

DD (10) came home from school before lunch today as she was feeling unwell. Either she had a miraculous recovery once she got home, or she simply didn't fancy school today. Or perhaps, a bit of both.

I'm glad she's better, but quite frankly don't think she needed to come home. I don't want to 'punish' her by insisting she stay in her room but also don't want to 'reward' her with a day of telly, computer, etc.

Would you/do you insist they have a quiet day (reading, bed, etc), or do you let them just potter around as if it is a regular weekend (or summer) day?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 19-Sep-11 21:50:11

Yes, in room, in bed, lights off 'resting' for at least 4 hours.

Then if well enough a quiet DVD later.

Only one day off in 6 years grin

Earlybird Mon 19-Sep-11 21:56:56

Yes, don't want to make her day at home so lovely that she falls ill again! wink

The real pain is that I am due to go out tonight, but can't in good conscience take her over to a friends' house if she is unwell (am in a different time zone).

Dd is encouraging me to go anyway, as she is a bit bored and fancies some time to 'play' with her friend. hmm

cory Tue 20-Sep-11 09:43:59

Can I ask how you firm mothers discipine yourselves when you are off sick from work? Do you allow yourselves to crash on the living room sofa with a DVD and a magazine, or do you insist that it has to be boring books in bed? And would the nature of your complaint make any difference?

cory Tue 20-Sep-11 09:46:46

When I was off sick (which was rarely) my mum used to do little things to cheer me up, like a bar of chocolate or some grapes, because she felt sorry for me and would have expected a similar treatment herself.

Modern parents seem to have a more punitive approach towards illness.

Does it make any difference if the child wants to go to school but you as a parent have decided they mustn't? Or if they have a recognisably infectious illness which the school does not accept? Do you still have to go out of your way to ensure they have a boring time?

dotty2 Tue 20-Sep-11 09:54:25

When I was little, I was allowed to lie on the sofa with a blanket when I was poorly, doze and watch tv. And eat rich tea biscuits. I still remember feeling warm and cozy and cared for, while my mum pottered around getting on with her day (SAHM, though - so easier). Come on, guys - have a heart. Feeling ill comes hand in hand with feeling miserable, and we all need a little comfort sometimes. My DDs are not ill much and when they are, are allowed unlimited tv and as many stories as I can muster the energy for - and I try and get a bit of work done in the next room. It hasn't made them long for days off - it's still quite boring.

ladybutterfly1 Tue 20-Sep-11 10:04:23

if my childs ill she will lie on sofa with a blanket plenty of fluids an rest and tv on quietly i dont expect her to go suddlenly play with friends id be cross

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now