Talk

Advanced search

DD9 has had a nightmare about man doing mean things to people....but she won't explain what.....

(6 Posts)
ButtonMoon Mon 19-Sep-11 13:28:20

DD9 came into our room in the middle of the night saying that she had had a bad dream and that she couldn't get back to sleep. She never does this. I asked her what it was about and she just said a mean man and wouldn't explain anything else, plus the fact it was 3am and we were both just tired so I put her back to bed with a big hug and she went back to sleep. I have tried gentle questioning and probing this morning before school but all she would say was that it was a mean man, doing horrible things to everyone. She says that it isn't someone that she knows and the she doesn't know the people who he is doing horrible things to. She wouldn't tell me what the horrible things are, saying that she doesn't want to. I told her that I really would like to know to help her and that she can tell me anything and it will make her feel better. I also said that I felt upset that she didn't want to tell me.
Not sure how to broach it again, I have tried not to put words into her mouth but just asked open ended questions. Tricky one, any one got any advice?

TIA

Fiolondon Mon 19-Sep-11 13:53:28

Could she draw a picture? Then ceremoniously destroy it?

ButtonMoon Mon 19-Sep-11 21:00:38

Thank you for the reply. We had a good chat tonight. Out has all stemmed from a book read at school about a ghost man who goes around kidnapping and murdering children.in her dream, she was being grabbed by this man. I am furious that school are slowing this type of book for primary she children to read. it sounds horrid.

Fiolondon Mon 19-Sep-11 21:03:32

Yes, I agree - and you're probably not the only family suffering the fall-out! Might be worth asking the teacher what is going on.

LizzieMo Thu 22-Sep-11 21:56:44

That is shocking subject matter for a primary school book. I would have a word with the school.

olibeansmummy Thu 22-Sep-11 23:05:26

I'd be having a word with the teacher too!

Don't push her too hard to talk about her dream as it may make her think about it more. Just let her know you're there if she wants to talk ( as you have).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now