Talk

Advanced search

When should my son get his first shoes?

(8 Posts)
Paschaelina Mon 19-Sep-11 10:30:22

Ok, I know it's a bit dull but icant seem to find a definitive answer.

He's just turned one, has been walking for 2 weeks and can now get across the room without falling, still wobbly though.

I know about leaving it a bit and not wearing shoes indoors but it's getting towards autumn and he needs something more than socks outside.

He has cheapy cruiser things, will they be enough? And until what point?

ladyintheradiator Mon 19-Sep-11 10:39:53

I would hold off from buying 'proper' shoes for as long as possible really, what about little leather shoes for extra warmth when out, if just toddling a few steps in the park or whatever (when dry obviously). I wouldn't buy shoes until there is some actual walking outside, on pavements on when it's wet.

tryingtoleave Mon 19-Sep-11 10:51:27

If he's walking get some soft soled shoes. Once he's grown out of them he'll be ready for proper shoes.

Paschaelina Mon 19-Sep-11 11:12:22

LITR that site is brilliant! I can forsee hours of fun shoe-shopping and not feeling guilty grin (well maybe a little bit at some of the prices)

Tryingtoleave that's exactly what I am going to do.

ladyintheradiator Mon 19-Sep-11 11:18:03

Oh I know, aren't they lovely? I love the 'pow' design for little boys, oh and the hedgehogs, and the owls, the spiders and robots and smiley sharks. I bought some for DD because I figure they are cheaper than getting her in some Clarks but not if I end up getting half a dozen pairs blush oh and they have Christmassy ones. I wonder if they do pumpkins? <goes to look>

I do think it's hard with autumn babies though as they can't potter about barefoot in the garden. We got DS 'proper' shoes probably a little early because he was going to nursery while I worked and spent a lot of time outside. His first pair are like new though so it obviously wasn't worth it.

Paschaelina Mon 19-Sep-11 11:27:02

Hmm the Christmas puddings or robins? Choices, choices... And the monkeys and spiders and the sheepskin cwtches are very cute and and and...

SaffronCake Tue 20-Sep-11 01:05:25

My littlest DD got her first shoes today from a local shop who do Startright. They're the kind they call pre-walkers, which are softer than actual shoes with a reinforced toe because she doesn't walk exclusively, she still crawls too, in about equal measure.

I would highly recommend the shop I went to, but unless you're in North Cornwall that wont help (PM me if you are). I agree to put if off if you can but when you do decide it's time for proper shoes do go for softer rather than stiffer and do go to a reputable fitter like Clarks or Startright.

pinkgirlythoughts Tue 20-Sep-11 12:07:38

As a children's shoe fitter (well, I used to be!), we'd always say that children didn't need 'proper' shoes until they can walk confidently, without assistance. As a rough guide, that would usually be at least 20 or so steps before stumbling.
Some people like to buy cruising/pre-walking shoes, which have the soft, flexible soles and extra protection at the toes, for when little ones are just starting to walk, but they aren't essential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now