Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year old starting to tell lies, what do you do as "punishment"?

(5 Posts)
astragirl Mon 19-Sep-11 08:54:01

he's only recently started doing this,twice today already! We give him a few minutes time out on the stairs to think about it and talk to him afterwards about why it's wrong to tell lies, but don't think it's sinking in. What do you all do? we really want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

baabaapinksheep Mon 19-Sep-11 09:07:39

What sort of lies is he telling? My DD1 is about the same age and often lies about things, but at this age I think it has more to do them not really being able to distinguish between what is real and what isn't. They have such strong imaginations thatoften that gets confused with reality.

I tend to just ignore the lies, for example if I see she has pushed DD2 over I don't ask her what happened I just tell her off for doing it, even if she says she didn't.

tryingtoleave Mon 19-Sep-11 10:48:57

Punishment? I usually just laugh and say, oh, you're just telling a silly story.

SenoritaViva Mon 19-Sep-11 10:51:28

My DD lies a lot, she is now 4. I think it is part of their development to be honest and I don't punish. I talk and say that it isn't appropriate and what I would like more than anything is the truth. I've had to explain what the truth is quite a lot to be honest, it is quite a hard concept to grasp at that age.

tryingtoleave Mon 19-Sep-11 10:56:58

Yes, they get confused. Ds will tell people his dad has a motorbike, because he wishes he did. He told his preschool teacher that he used to live in Paris. When I asked him why he said that, he said because he speaks French ( very little btw).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now