Talk

Advanced search

Jetlagged babies - how do I get them back onto UK time?

(5 Posts)
ChipPanSpam Sun 18-Sep-11 22:09:01

Does anyone have any tips on getting babies back onto UK time? I have got 13 month old twins and they are wide awake! We got back earlier this week from the US where there was a -5 time difference so was hoping things would have improved by now.

I'm trying to follow my usual routine and they go to sleep ok but wake up screaming an hour later and will not settle after much trying so have been getting them up again for a couple of hours.

Thanks for any advice!

StillinMyPJs Mon 19-Sep-11 06:10:53

Poor you! As you are already following your normal routine, the only thing that I would suggest is getting your twins outside into natural daylight as much as possible during the hours that you want them to be awake (even if it means waking them up in the morning). The natural light should encourage the release of a hormone (melatonin?) that helps to regulate the body clock.

Tightly control the length of nap times and if they do wake in the night and refuse to go back to sleep, make sure that the room you are in with them is as dark as possible. I have also read that warm milk causes the body to release another hormone that promotes sleep.

I hope things are getting better for you all.

mortgagefury Mon 19-Sep-11 11:00:49

I always try and keep him super busy during the day, restrict the length of nap times and just generally make sure that DS is exhausted by the end of the day. If he does wake, keep things quiet and calm and dark - try not to let them get up even if it means a horrible night for all of you it should help. Also I find that his meal schedule is the most difficult thing to get back so if you can make sure they have a good meal before they go to bed (give them whatever you can get them to eat - better if healthy and filling etc but if not just make sure they have enough that they're not waking up hungry).
and if I were you I'd be going to bed around the same time as them to try and make up for the sleep lost if they wake in the night so you have the energy to keep them on the go during the next day.
And after all that, to be honest, time is the best solution! I've never had it last longer than a week - and it usually takes that long.

An0therName Mon 19-Sep-11 12:52:38

it took about a week for my DS1 to settle after time zone changes - maybe 5 days -

ChipPanSpam Mon 19-Sep-11 19:29:19

Many Thanks for all your advice. I took them outside this morning and afternoon and they had fairly short naps. I also kept them active to tire them out. They went to bed with not too much protest, so fingers crossed for a peaceful evening and night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now