Talk

Advanced search

4 year old started reception, how normal is this?

(10 Posts)
Pippinintherain Sun 18-Sep-11 20:07:21

DS started school 2 weeks ago. He has become horrendously behaved at home, really silly, hyper, smacking us and DD and not listening to a word we say.

He's enjoying school, goes happily in everyday and seems to be behaving there.

Has anyone else noticed their child being the same? Is he just using all his goodness up at school so there's none left for us?!

Please, please tell me this too shall pass.

heavenstobetsy Sun 18-Sep-11 20:11:41

You've just described my DD to a T! No words of advice I'm afraid, but you are not alone grin

ChippingIn Sun 18-Sep-11 20:12:02

LOL - I was reading it thinking 'he's using up all of his 'being good' at school'. My friend has a 7 yo like this - you would not know the child the teachers rave about is the one we get 'out of hours' smile

Pippinintherain Sun 18-Sep-11 20:14:34

Thank God it's not just me!

He starts full days this week, I sense a fun few days ahead!

bumbums Sun 18-Sep-11 20:15:06

Must just be the tiredness making them behave this way. I bet they all settle down in a few weeks. Lots of early nights!

youarekidding Sun 18-Sep-11 20:16:25

It does pass by junior school so just keep counting down the days til half term.

5 weeks if that helps. grin

chocolateyclur Sun 18-Sep-11 20:16:35

Oh hell yes. My 3 year old has been in nursery since 9 months old. He is now doing 2 days at pre school in a school setting and I have spent the weekend feeling like I am banging my head against a wall. Gah.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 18-Sep-11 21:15:26

Weirdly, I found dd better on full days. At least there's less time til bedtime then!

Pippinintherain Sun 18-Sep-11 21:28:07

Sleepglorioussleep, that's what I thought wink

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Sun 18-Sep-11 22:09:20

I put it down to them finding ways to cope with the change.

It's such a big thing them going to school, or changing to a new year. They just have no way of expressing and managing this change other than in behaviour. Doesn't mean they don't like it or aren't happy. And in a way, it's a good thing that they feel safe enough at home to act up there (and well brought up enough to not be little buggers at school).

Can you tell I have given this a LOT of thought! It's the only way I've managed to stay sane!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now