Talk

Advanced search

Convenient tummy ache

(18 Posts)
cantpooinpeace Sat 17-Sep-11 19:52:04

since starting school with a shaky start DD has been complaining on and off about tummy ache.
One minute I believe it as it's the middle of night and she's crying about it and other times she mentions it as soon as school is mentioned and I'm sure it's a fib.
She normally sleeps very well but last night had us up on and off with complaints of tummy ache and wanting mummy.
Tonight as soon as school mentioned she complained about it after not mentioning it all day. I got very cross with her and told her mummy had had enough and that she was lying to me. I put her straight to bed due to the tummy ache and firmly told her no more of this messing around tonight.
She fell asleep almost instantly but I feel awful.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this as I'm very confused and tired about the best approach.

CrackerFactory Sat 17-Sep-11 19:55:39

Its really difficult I have had this with all my dc. However, something to bear in mind is kids get tummy ache the same way adults get headaches. Stress etc goes to the tummy. Plus a GP told me kids have glands in their stomach that play up all the time. So while she may be playing up about tummy aches, some of it may be quite real. What you can do about it, I am not sure. I was also told by GP that if it is serious it will be very obvious so I try to just chivvy them along when they tell me they have sore tummies.

AuntieMonica Sat 17-Sep-11 19:55:46

well, she might have a tummy ache, or what we might call butterflies?

can you give her a placebo on monday? tell her that you've been given a special medicine (dunno, something you can sprinkle into a youghurt - cornflour?) that helps her tummy ache subside and go from there?

cantpooinpeace Sat 17-Sep-11 20:03:08

Gave her Calpol last night but didn't have much of an effect as she was complaining for a good hour or so after on and off.
Did wonder if it's nerves, she said she was a bit nervous about school before starting. She's only been crying as she goes in then fine all day and already knows lots of children in her class and at the school.
Think I need to keep ignoring and being blaze about it.
I'm normally pretty tough about these things but this one has got to me!
Thanks for your posts so far.
P.s. She's not been sick or off her food but hasn't poo'd (to my knowledge) for 2 days.
Sorry if that's too much info!

nickschick Sat 17-Sep-11 20:06:42

read this when my ds2 was poorly this was suggested as a possibility? worth having a look at,no?

cece Sat 17-Sep-11 20:06:58

I used to give mine 'medicine' that helped poorly tummies. It was really a bottle of liquid vitamin supplement for kids. smile

AuntieMonica Sat 17-Sep-11 20:07:01

she probably has got a real sore tummy then! but not to say she is ill, it does sound as if she's got herself worked up and this is how it's manifesting.

a deep warm bath before bed (i'm sure you know all this anyway) and some warm milk may help to soothe her for bed, tomorrow is another day.

CrackerFactory Sat 17-Sep-11 20:10:12

If she hasnt pooed for 2 days she will be a bit constipated which can be uncomfortable and or sore. Again this could be due to nerves and should right itself.

Gincognito Sat 17-Sep-11 20:12:10

Has anyone mentioned migraine? Often start as stomach ache in small children, with head pain etc developing as they get older. This what happened to me!

nickschick Sat 17-Sep-11 20:14:30

thats my link smile

Gincognito Sat 17-Sep-11 20:16:57

Aha! Apologies, am v v lazy...

cantpooinpeace Sat 17-Sep-11 20:35:43

She's just been up with it now - been asleep an hour. Sat upright in bed crying with tummy ache. So bloody confused.
Told her to go back to sleep and it will go away.

AuntieMonica Sat 17-Sep-11 20:43:37

have you got any milk of magnesia or something similar in the house?

if she hasn't been to the toilet for 2 days she'll probably have a bit of wind too. hot water bottle wrapped up will soothe her.

tbh i think she's prob worked up and in a bit of pain, have you sat and rubbed her tummy at all, i think this is physical, but not seriously so. it might get a bit nasty though if she can't relax

cantpooinpeace Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:01

Thanks AuntieMon, I haven't heard of milk of magnesia for years!! Will get some tomorrow. Hot water bottle is my next trick. Have sat and rubbed last night but it started again after falling asleep.

AuntieMonica Sat 17-Sep-11 20:54:17

hope she's better soon, poor wee thing

DD started school this week too, it's a shock to their little systems for some of them

smile

madmomma Sat 17-Sep-11 20:58:20

I used to have this reaction to stress as a little girl. Using the term 'tummy ache' was all I could think of to express feeling unhappy/stressed. I also got constipated at those times. Hopeully it'll pass as she gets settled into school.

cantpooinpeace Sat 17-Sep-11 21:57:21

Thanks mad, kinda what I was thinking x

LizzieMo Thu 22-Sep-11 22:09:52

My DD has had this on & off for 2 years, often she feels it in her bottom too, when she is nervous. Like butterflies, but in her bottom not her tummy, if you know what I mean. She is anxious and has found school hard. Did you just grow out of it Madmomma??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now