Talk

Advanced search

Feeling like the worst mum in the world

(5 Posts)
Melons23 Sat 17-Sep-11 14:20:38

I have been having a horrendous time with my 15 month old for the past few weeks. At nursery is is wonderful, with his grandparents he is lovely and with me he won't eat, won't sleep and constantly wants me to carry him around the house. Any food I give him he throws on the floor unless it's yoghurt, porridge or bananas (although today the bananas have had it as well). The health visitor told me that if he doesn't eat his lunch then not to give him an alternative but that's easier said than done when your child hasn't eaten for the whole day! I am starting to feel like the worst mum in the world and like I can;t cope any more. Other people come along and he's suddenly this lovely little person that I am getting to see less and less! I love him more than the world but am starting to feel happier at work than at home which makes me feel terrible.

michmumm Sat 17-Sep-11 15:07:32

Please don't feel like u r a terrible mother. My DS has been like that the last few days - I wanted to just leave him in the park yesterday! He is an angel for my DH and a demon for me. The trick is to not take it personally - he is a person in his own right and he gets moods too and this is not to do with u. Just try to let it all wash over u and when he throws things on the floor just clean it up, take a deep breath and start again. The less emotional u r the less emotional he will be. My DS is a little reflection of me and how I feel - kids r like that. Keep your chin up, remember that u both love each other and one day of not eating perfectly is ok!

Momo36 Sat 17-Sep-11 20:02:53

Oh please don't feel bad... I have a 10 mo and we have days like this where I want to just run away. I don't have any specific advice for you but the guilt trips that we mums keep having for sure don't help! Hang on, it will get better I"m sure.

Iggly Sat 17-Sep-11 20:30:13

You know when you feel a bit rubbish, you grin and bear it with except in front of people you're close to and want comfort from? That's what kids do hence mums getting the crap.

He might be teething, having a developmental leap, coming down with something... If he doesn't eat, leave snacks out for him to nibble on during the day. Give milk too. It could be molars - they're pretty horrid.

AngelDog Sat 17-Sep-11 21:19:26

Yes, there is a developmental leap around then. Classic signs are being 'clingy, cranky & crying', and not sleeping properly. If it's that it should improve on its own.

Iggly is right about how children let their guard down and all the negative emotions come flooding out when they're with the person they feel safest with (just like we adults do).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now