Talk

Advanced search

Coming when called/asked - when?

(6 Posts)
Flossie69 Sat 17-Sep-11 09:58:34

Hi all

Just wanted to know when your LO's started to come to you when called or asked? My DD is now 16 months, and knows when I want her to come to me (I think), but doesn't. When I need to change her nappy, I call her once I have everything ready, but she seems to have other plans. I have to go and get her.

Also, when we go to pick her brother up from school, she loves to run and play on the extensive fields and grounds, and will just keep going, regardless of me calling her back, especially when she sees other children playing.

Does this sound about par for the course? Wil she eventually learn to come back when I call?

SazZaVoom Sat 17-Sep-11 09:59:31

Mine are 4 and 3 and ignore me most of the time grin

Flossie69 Sat 17-Sep-11 10:08:56

I appreciate that there will be alot of that going on grin even now she emplys her cheeky grin and tries to hide.

But I would like her to learn that when Mummy calls, she needs to come - there will be times when it will be important....

HoneyPablo Sat 17-Sep-11 10:18:43

I can give you a few tips from working with small children. Can't guarantee they will work grin
When you want them to come to you, ask them calmly and extend your hand. if they refuse, stand your ground and use your 'do as you are told look and voice'.
If they still refuse, use the countdown method 'come here or I will count to 5'
Whatever you do, do not run after them, or laugh or make it in to a game. It's one of those times when you really need to let them know who's boss.
If you get to 5 and they still don't come, then march over and pick them up and say something like having to pick them up because they are a baby and not listening to mummy.
You will rarely have to count all the way up to 5 grin and you are teaching them numeracy at the same time wink

youarekidding Sat 17-Sep-11 10:31:59

I have no idea but when DS hit 6 and was still deploying the ignoring technique I adopted another even less recommended one.

I called DS a million times and he didn't come, so I said (in a voice no louder than I'd originally called him) quick come here the house is going to collapse. shock.
He came, looked at ceiling, looked confused and I simply said it could have been an emergency so that's why he should come the first time I call him.

Not recommended but it did work blush

WhoresHairKnickers Sat 17-Sep-11 11:19:16

You will only have a tiny window where they will actually come when called...somewhere between 4 and 5 years. After that, they perfect selective hearing. Especially boy children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now