Talk

Advanced search

Almost 10 month old still not crawling...

(16 Posts)
emmyloo2 Fri 16-Sep-11 03:17:18

My DS is 10 months next week and is still not crawling. He was making some progress a couple of weeks ago and was starting to push back onto his haunches but he then just flops onto his stomach. He can do 360s and does them all the time, but no movement forward. He also seems to prefer to "stand" a lot of the time. He doesn't roll much although just recently he rolls straight onto his stomach if I put him on his back on the bed. He doesn't do this on the floor though (we have hard wood floors).

It doesn't bother me but it does seem most babies are crawling by this stage. I guess it just worries me that he seems to make progress and then he regresses a little bit. Is this normal?

Thanks!

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 16-Sep-11 03:24:41

Sounds like DD2, except she didn't even do any standing.

She crawled at 10 months, didn't walk until 18 months.

Are you worried about his development for other reasons?

emmyloo2 Fri 16-Sep-11 03:29:33

Hi She! Thanks for your response.

Developmental wise he is great otherwise. Very chatty and very alert. Always has been since a baby. He knows a few words "mum" "Dad" etc and he full of beans, all the time. It's just the crawling thing - he seems not to have the strength in his legs. He gets very frustrated that he can't move forward. He sits now very well, but he was quite slow to sit (maybe 7 months?).

So not really worried but it does feel like he won't be crawling until his first birthday! I also don't think he will be walking for some time yet. I just don't think he will have the strength.

Presumably your DD2 is now perfectly ok???

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 16-Sep-11 03:40:51

DD2 is 19 months, so she hasn't been walking that long, but yes I'm pretty sure she's OK smile

7 months isn't late for sitting up unaided, I don't think. That's when both my girls started.

10 months and already using recognisable words seems quite advanced - he's a genius grin

I don't mean this in a flippant way, but if you have no real reason for concern, try to enjoy the wonderful "sitting but not moving" phase of parenting a baby.

I had this precious experience stolen from me first time around when DD1 started dragging herself around the floor the day after she first sat up. I'm still bitter about the chilled out afternoons I missed out on, reading the paper while she sat happily playing with her toys, unable to get up to any mischief grin

emmyloo2 Fri 16-Sep-11 03:48:40

Oh yes, he has been declared a genuis by his doting grandmother already! grin He is very "full on" for sure and needs lots of distractions, although he does sit quite happily and bang on his little piano for 20 minutes or so, which is heaven.

I will try and enjoy this time, because I have this feeling he is going to be into everything when he gets moving. I am the same though - I hate sitting still so I can only blame myself though!

And yes...I would love a chilled out afternoon reading the paper. I only get that on the weekends when he is asleep!

survivingsummer Fri 16-Sep-11 10:36:38

My son was similar - he couldn't get up on all fours to crawl and sat very happily without any need to move grin At 11 months old he started pulling himself around using his arms and one knee which was very odd to look at but effective! He is quite hypermobile and I think his joints needed time to strengthen up. He crawled properly for a week at 14 months and then started walking!!

Please don't worry though - he is sitting and rolling which is good..

gobblygook Fri 16-Sep-11 12:45:05

Hi

My 9.5 month DS is the same. He sat early - 5.5 months and can sit for ages, and he can roll for England, but he's just not got the crawling thing yet. He reaches all around, and gets into strange positions with his legs, and gets stuck - but that's it. He also likes to stand and doesn't need much support.

I worried - I worry about everything - but I've given up worrying about it. I don't think 10 months is late, it's just one of those milestones we're all desperate to tick off. And, like your son, mine is very loud and full of babble. So that's his thing, maybe. Also, lots of friends babies went straight onto a sort of bum shuffle and then walked...there are tons of ways to get there. One particular friend whose daughter said 'pretty' at 8 months and then continued to shine verbally, did a weird shuffle till she was 2! And then walked...

The range is huge and I really don't think indicates any sort of issue. That's my opinion, anyway...

Survivingsummer - I'm slightly hyermobile - found out in pregnancy, so never affected me or knew about it before. How would I know if hypermobility was affecting my DS?

GoingForABlog Fri 16-Sep-11 13:48:41

I was really worried about my first, she was only just crawling in time for her 1st birthday, with just a few days to spare! She didn't walk then until just gone 19 months either, so was just a little slow with her physical milestones.

I wasn't worried initially, my HV had assured me that they aren't all quick to get moving, but getting comments from other mums at toddlers and playgroup used to upset me a little.

Anyway, now at 2.5 years there is no difference between her and her peers at all, except that her speech is excellent which I think she developed quite early to compensate for not being mobile. She couldn't crawl/walk over to get the toy she wanted so she learnt to ask for it instead.

My youngest was just the same too, she crawled just before she was 1 and now at 15 months ish she can cruise along furniture but is still several months off proper walking I think.

lollystix Fri 16-Sep-11 13:54:37

I've had 3. Earliest crawler was 11 months and one never did- straight to walking at 13 months. Totally normal - please don't stress.

Momo36 Fri 16-Sep-11 14:40:21

Have you had your HV check his hips? I'm asking purely because you mention about 'strength' in his legs. It is perfectly normal for some babies to start moving a bit later, however it is sometimes good to check the hips again to get the all clear. I had hip displasia as a baby which was treated successfully. I am not trying to scare you or anything but if you are worried about the strength in his legs - put your mind at rest with a once over from the HV.

wearymum200 Fri 16-Sep-11 19:16:33

Likely to be normal. Ds1 finally learnt to crawl at nearly 16m, 2 weeks after he walked. Some never crawl. If he's sitting and rolling ok, he'll probably get there in his own time.

caesar04 Fri 16-Sep-11 19:26:28

Sound just like DS.

Stood loads and was cruising at 11 months, was sure he was going to bypass crawling altogether but then just before he was 1 he discovered how to crawl...he promptly forgot all about walking or standing till he was 14 months when he walked.
By 18 months he was running about and is now 3 YO, hasn't stopped since grin Thats when all the trouble started wink

DD on the other hand was sitting up at 5 months and crawling at just 7 months. She 9 months now and nearly walking.

Both are normal.

Enjoy it while you can!

MamaChocoholic Fri 16-Sep-11 19:41:45

ds1 never crawled. stood, cruised, then walked. the dts crawled at 5 & 6 mo. non-crawling is much easier - enjoy it!

madmomma Sat 17-Sep-11 21:13:23

Ah don't worry. Definitely normal. My youngest is nearly one and refuses to crawl or bottom shuffle. Some of them just skip crawling and hate being on their bellies. My first child was exactly the same. Your little'un will probably just go straight to walking.

peterpan99 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:34:19

my friends daughter literally didnt move until she was 15months, then she got up and walked! i really wouldnt worry but i know it can be hard not to compare your child to other peoples

emmyloo2 Sun 18-Sep-11 14:02:56

Thanks everybody! I will try not to worry. He does seem to be getting stronger with his standing and can pull himself up to standing with my hands. But no progress with the crawling.

The health visitor said not to worry until he is 12 months so I will get him looked at at 12 months if still no crawling...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now