Talk

Advanced search

What age did your baby sleep in their own room?

(12 Posts)
MummyBuzz Thu 15-Sep-11 21:26:22

My DD is now 17 weeks old and sleeps through the night from 8pm to 7.30am so there is no reason at all that she shouldn't really be in her own room! I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm hopeless. Plus, all of the advice on SIDS recommends babies sleep in their parents room until six months.

What did you do?

Tigresswoods Thu 15-Sep-11 21:28:20

I think a very quick search will help you find this thread from about a week ago... And a week before that...

fireflyz Thu 15-Sep-11 21:40:58

We put DS in his own room at about 9 months.

Once we did the move, we wondered why we hadn't done it about a month earlier, as DS slept so much better without us creeping about to come to bed about 3 hours after his bedtime, and then snoring and snuffling blush

I wouldn't do it any earlier than 6 months though, for the SIDS research reasons. I don't think it's worth risking it.

I think it is a big move in a funny sort of way, they seem so little to be in a big room all by themselves.

But I think if they're older than 6 months, and generally sleeping quite well, but you are starting to notice or suspect that they are being woken up by you in the room, then it's probably time for The Move smile

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 15-Sep-11 21:46:49

I hope you found the other threads mummybuzz but just in case you haven't then thought I'd offer my opinion... Wow to your dd sleeping through at 17 weeks, that's great but I wouldn't have moved my ds into his own room at that stage as babies' sleeping habits can and do change (and a word of warning about the 4/5/6 month sleep regression shock). If things are going well then stay safe in the knowledge that she's close to you, you are reducing the risk of SIDS and trust your instincts. I didn't move ds until he was almost 6 months and that was only because he had well and truly outgrown his crib and the cot wouldn't fit into our bedroom (we tried!). HTH

jojomom Thu 15-Sep-11 22:19:23

DS was in own room after 3 weeks, DD after 6 nights.

Jesusgirl Fri 16-Sep-11 00:15:56

10 weeks. DH and I slept on an air mattress in her room for about 2 weeks before then. So technically 8 weeks.

FlamingoBingo Fri 16-Sep-11 00:19:19

Why do you want to know what others have done? You know the safety guidelines. They're there for very important reasons. It appears that deep sleeping increases the risk that a baby will die from cot death, and sleeping in the same room as his parents means that he hears them breathing and moving around, and manages to stay in a light stage of sleep. It's actually far more dangerous to have your baby in a separate room than it is to bring him into your own bed.

It's your decision though - why does it make any difference what others do?

I'm not being stroppy - I'm just trying to say to you that, IMO, the only things you should take into account is the research, the guidelines based on that research, and what you feel is right for your family, not what other people do unless they can provide you with unique information as to why their way may help you.

MummyBuzz Fri 16-Sep-11 17:31:09

Thanks for the feedback. The main reason I wanted other peoples opinions was because I have a lot of friends with babies the same age as my DD and they all sleep in their own rooms and when I have mentioned that DD is still in with us I think they all felt that I was a little paranoid! (Which maybe I am, but for all the right reasons!). Just wanted to check what others had done to reassure me I am not being a posessive mother! Going to trust my instincts and keep her in our room until 6 months, they're only little once and I won't get this time back!

CointreauVersial Fri 16-Sep-11 17:36:09

Mine were all around 3 months when we moved them, and sleeping through the night.

Back then (and it wasn't so long ago....) this six-month thing wasn't known.

I would have struggled to keep them in our room until 6 months, in any case. They were getting too big for the Moses basket, and our cottage bedroom was way too small to fit a cot.

FlamingoBingo Fri 16-Sep-11 21:02:46

LOL, Mummy. Yes, ours were in our room for years...they're all normal and lovely and confident etc. Keep them in your room as long as you flipping well like! Please try not to be influenced by what your friends do smile

x

ps. Bit of a plug, but this is the whole ethos of my blog - do what's right for you and yours and be confident in it! smile

Mishy1234 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:19:34

DS1- just over 3, although still sneaks into our bed a few times a week (always starts off in his own though unless he's ill).

DS2- 15.5 months co-sleeps and probably will do until he's at least 2, maybe longer. He's still bf during the night, so it's a lot easier for me if he's in with us.

Follow the path of least resistance is my motto when it comes to sleep!

Rubyabcd Sat 17-Sep-11 20:25:14

8 weeks for me and she's slept there every night since all night!! Now 15 mth and still doing great. Kept both doors open for few weeks for piece of mind and monitor always on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now