Advanced search

child psychologist?

(3 Posts)
makemineaginandtonic Thu 15-Sep-11 19:14:56

I am worried about my DD's behaviour. She is 6 and in year 2 and generally does well at school although sometimes is a bit uncooperative. She also seems to lack a bit of confidence. I am mainly worried about her behaviour at home where she has a tendency to get completely worked up to screaming tantrum stage very quickly and then she starts shouting things like "i hate this world" "I wish I was dead" "I'm going to kill my sister". She can be very violent and kicks and punches things and tonight broke a stair post by kicking it.

I was exactly the same when I was young. In the past few years I have been depressed and had counselling and medication and during the process realised I had felt very unloved as a child, probably because I was too busy getting in trouble!!

My concern is that the same pattern is being repeated with my DD. I have been to parenting classes and had a one on one session with an expert, but nothing seems to stop her really full on outbursts and I find it SOO hard to remain calm.

Do you think she would benefit from talking to a counsellor? My initial reaction was to not be so ridiculous, but it has helped me so much I thought maybe it could work for her?? How would I go about arranging it??

WoofToYouTooLady Thu 15-Sep-11 19:16:38

are you in England? school nurse can advise/refer

if not in England then I would say speak to GP

makemineaginandtonic Thu 15-Sep-11 19:22:49

I am in England. Wondered if it was appropriate to approach the school as the behaviour is only evident outside of school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now