Talk

Advanced search

My 10 year old DD is 5ft 3 and weighs 7 stone, she thinks she's fat!

(7 Posts)
sandyballs Tue 13-Sep-11 12:53:00

She's got a lovely physique, tall and lean and athletic, she enjoys lots of sport. But recently she has been trying to pinch an invisible 'roll' around her middle and complaining that she weighs too much and is fat. sad.

How can I stop her talking and feeling like this. I don't have celeb magazines lying about the place so she never looks at stuff like that, same with tv, she's much more into nature programmes than celebrity stuff so I'm surprised she's thinking along these lines already.

sandyballs Tue 13-Sep-11 12:54:09

Meant to add that I don't go on about diets and weight myself, even though I am slightly overweight, so she hasn't picked this up from me either.

Madlizzy Tue 13-Sep-11 12:57:10

Her shorter friends have probably weighed themselves and weigh less, and your DD isn't thinking of the height difference. She is very tall for her age. smile

ScribblerInTheSpaces Tue 13-Sep-11 12:58:25

Message withdrawn

Mammonite Tue 13-Sep-11 13:03:07

Could you show her how to work out her BMI and look it up on a chart to reassure her? It's a sensitive thing at that age, especially if she's starting to mature/fill-out a bit faster than her waif-like friends. It is a bit hard to avoid the skinny message in today's society though, she will be getting it from school friends.

sandyballs Tue 13-Sep-11 13:05:27

Thanks maybe it is to do with her smaller friends, she is much taller than most of them and doesn't particularly like being tall. She's not developing yet, no sign of that.

sandyballs Tue 13-Sep-11 13:06:52

That's an idea, checking the BMI chart. I've just remembere that the bloody Wii tells her she is overweight angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now