Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Those whose babies slept through earlier

(20 Posts)
Boosaphena Mon 12-Sep-11 14:07:12

I am due to have dc3 in 2 weeks by elcs. Brith of my children have been big sleepers, but have been big feeders and I don't know if I fussed them too much.
If your baby slept well from early on can you tell me roughly what your routine was ie feed, wrapped up and put straight down in cot. Or fed to sleep and put down, or did you let them cry. I'm trying to work out if I've been doing it wrong or if maybe it's just the way they are. I'd really love to get a little more then 1.5 hrs sleep in a go this time tho!
Thanks in advance.

Boosaphena Mon 12-Sep-11 14:08:08

That's meant to say neither of my children were big sleepers. Blooming phone!

moogalicious Mon 12-Sep-11 14:17:08

Dc3 was a brilliant sleeper. I think, being the third, she had to learn to get on with it as I had my hands full with a 2 year old and a 4 year old.

I just used to feed her and put her to sleep wherever was convenient, be it in her crib, on my bed, in the car seat (on top of the kitchen work top where she was safe from dc2's 'hugs') or on the sofa. She also slept with/on me in the first few weeks.

I don't remember letting her cry, but I did used to swaddle her when she was tiny. If she did wake and cry, I guess I wouldn't of run straight to her as I would be dealing with the other 2 dcs, so she would self-settle.

FWIW, dc's 1 and 2 were rubbish sleepers too. DC1 was still being fed to sleep at 18 months, dc2 was still waking in the night at 13 months.

MonsterBookOfTysons Mon 12-Sep-11 14:21:50

Both my dc were brilliant sleepers throughout the night. My mum always tells me how lucky we are grin
I think the only different thing we did was swaddle them and not wake them for a bottle. They didnt starve and just drank more regulary during the day. Not everybody would agree as most people wake there dc every couple of hours it seems but both my dc slept through from 1 week old.
smile

moogalicious Mon 12-Sep-11 14:28:01

I seem to remember I didn't wake dc3 for a feed.

seeker Mon 12-Sep-11 14:30:10

"Those whose babies slept through earlier......". .....are generally liars!!!!!!!!

StrandedBear Mon 12-Sep-11 14:38:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMonkey Mon 12-Sep-11 14:39:38

I don't know how early is very early, but DD1 would quite happily sleep from 8pm to 8am from about six months. She was ff and I just fed her the normal amount, I think grin and other than that, I did what most people do. She had a feed and went to sleep in cot. I was quite chilled with her, had no clue what she was "supposed" to be doing by a certain age or whatever, I just went with it. And DD did it all herself.

With DD2, she wasn't quite so keen on sleeping and I got all stressed out and stuff about her not doing it properly/according to the books I'd stupidly read by then.

So my advice is chill out and don't worry about it.smile

bigdonna Mon 12-Sep-11 16:39:12

well seeker we are not all liars my ds slept from 8 weeks he would have adream feed at 10pm and sleep till 7 and my dd slept through from 13 weeks.by 6months they both slept 7-7am.but they didnt sleep much during the day!!!

MmeLindor. Mon 12-Sep-11 16:42:47

DD slept through from 11pm to 6am from about 13 weeks.

I thought it was all due to our fantastic routine and generally good parenting.

Then we had DS. He wasn't sleeping through until he was well over 2yo and even now, at 7yo he still wakes up most nights. He goes for a wee and goes back to bed but her generally comes in for a quick cuddle.

It is luck, pure and simple.

CointreauVersial Mon 12-Sep-11 16:47:09

My three all slept through by around 10-12 weeks.

DS1 had to be fed to sleep in the early weeks, and was the most trouble to settle but DD1 was very different, and I could just put her down to sleep anytime. She chose when to take all her day-time naps too. DD2 was somewhere between the two.

Interestingly, now they are 12, 10 and 8, this reflects their personalities still - DS1 is high-maintenance and takes up most of my parenting time; DD1 is very independent and self-contained, and rarely "needs" me; DD2 is somewhere in between!

LoonyRationalist Mon 12-Sep-11 16:48:12

Dd1 slept through (9pm-7am) from 10 weeks. Dd2 first slept through at about 16months.

I did identically the same with both

All babies are different

ledkr Mon 12-Sep-11 16:53:47

Not all liars dd slept all night at 7 weeks-8-7,i wqas very smug.
However,when 4 month regression hit home she stopped,and now she isnt really too keen on weaning so sometimes wakes for a feed early hrs and isnt great at settling either. She also went though a phase of waking at 4.30 for the day <weeps>
I always fed mine at night in the dark and didnt change a nappy unless dirty and didnt talk or make eye contact.
She still feeds to sleep at bedtime.

rubyrubyruby Mon 12-Sep-11 16:58:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeWe Mon 12-Sep-11 18:05:21

Dd1 slept through every night from 8 weeks. fully bf, her only routine was roughly bath at 7:30, bf 7:50-8:30 sleep for 12-14 hours. She didn't sleep much during the day at that point, which I think helped. At 9 months she started having a 2-3 hour sleep in the afternoon as well. Of course it was entirely down to my parenting grin

Dd2 slept through round about 2.6. Years that is not months. Did exactly the same as dd1. Maybe it wasn't my parenting? wink

Ds slept through first time at 8 weeks. Same bedtime routine as dd1 except an hour earlier. Then had his injections which he was really bad with and didn't sleep through again for 2 weeks. At 12 weeks he started his first ear infection, and his routine started as such: Day 1-2 coming down with ear infection (poor sleep due to pain, waking every 2-3 hours and difficulty settling). Day 2-6 on antibiotics which always gave him wind and tummy pain (poor sleep due to pain not really sleeping much except upright) Day 7-8 ear infection better and antibiotic reaction settling down. (sleep better, perhaps waking 1-2 times) Day 9-10 no antibiotics, no ear infection (sleeping through 12 hours) Back to day 1 again. sad This continued until he was 20 months when he had his first set of grommets in. He was ill the first week, then slept through from week 2 onward.

It's often the child not the parenting...

Sleepglorioussleep Mon 12-Sep-11 18:28:08

Dd1, fed when she wanted to. She wanted to roughly every three hours til five months when she slept 7 til 7 with a dream feed.
Ds fed when he wanted to. Every three hours til well over a year.
Dd2 is ten weeks and for last few weeks has done five hour stretch from about ten pm. Now goes down half eight til nine ish and sleeps til five. Guess what...she's fed when she wanted to! I conclude...all children are different and be careful what you take credit (or blame) for.

schroeder Mon 12-Sep-11 18:29:57

Both, slept from about 11-7 from the age of 7-8 weeks.

They were both ff and large 9lbs +.

Not sure we did anything special, but left them to settle themselves as much as possible.

We also always used to put them down for the night awake-only because moving them would always wake them up. In hindsight though, I suppose they did learn to settle that way, but it wasn't our idea iykwim.

Not sure there's a magic combination which will ensure a good sleeper sorry. smile

tallulah Mon 12-Sep-11 18:42:48

DC1 slept through from 7 weeks. BF to sleep and no proper routine. DC2 didn't sleep for more than 3-4 hours until he was about 2 1/2. Also BF to sleep. Didn't do anything different.

It is just the luck of the draw.

EverythingsNotRosie Mon 12-Sep-11 19:49:49

DD slept 7 til 6 from about 12 weeks. She fed and was put down awake to grumble (not cry) from about 6 weeks. But she has had regressions at 4, 6 and now at 9 months. We used shush/pat at 4 months, PU/PD at 6 months and are currently doing CC (straight to sleep on 4th night). She has always, bar the first week alive, slept in her own bed. She fed every 1.5 to 2 hours all day until 6 months so I think she tanked up for night time! I am sure we have just been lucky, however!

Boosaphena Tue 13-Sep-11 16:12:26

Thanks for all the replies. I think i was hoping that a theme would emerge and it would be obvious what made them sleep!
I'm mostly very laid back (apart from at my most sleep deprived!) so i dont think its anything to do with my persona! Lets just hope this ones comes out with sleeping as its main skill!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now