Talk

Advanced search

Brushing teeth - mega tantrums, your tips to get to those teeth?

(35 Posts)
monkeypuzzeltree Sun 11-Sep-11 22:24:30

It is like a wrestling match at bedtime with my 19 month old. Any tips on how to make teeth brushing more fun, I'm so worried she will end up with bad teeth.

mistressploppy Sun 11-Sep-11 22:25:46

Watching. My 23mo is a nightmare with this too.

muttimalzwei Sun 11-Sep-11 22:27:50

Same here, 28 month, can't get near him. Ditto nails and toenails!

mymumdom Sun 11-Sep-11 22:29:05

My son likes Thomas so I say 'Open your mouth and we'll have a look and see what trains you have in there today.' As I'm brushing I describe one and pretend to chase it all over his teeth, cleaning it. Finally I say Ive cleaned the train in his mouth up but I'll have to check in the evening to make sure it''s not dirty again.
I know it sounds a bit weird, but it works for us. shrugs

mymumdom Sun 11-Sep-11 22:29:30

Nails I do while he's fixated on TV.

mo3d Sun 11-Sep-11 22:30:33

How about you both have a tooth brush? Theirs is to chew on (hopefully a few teeth will get brushed in the process) and then you do the best you can.

I always knelt down infront of my dc, I found that the easiest position, but a friend of mine used to stand behind hers and bend over their heads.

If they were very reluctant, I remember making motorbike noises (they always seems happy with that).

HTH

monkeypuzzeltree Sun 11-Sep-11 22:31:28

Ditto on nails, in the highchair with the assistance of peppa!

Hmm, wonder if I can do teeth then too actually, I know it is meant to be after milk, but I could have a quick go just before bed....might try that!

hiccymapops Sun 11-Sep-11 22:31:43

You've probably tried something like this, but when ds2 was very reluctant, I used to brush mine at the same time, and see who could do the loudest "ahhhhhhs" as we were brushing, then ask him if I could just help with the last bits while he "ahhhhs" again for me. Sounds daft, but it worked for us.

EmmaRoyd Sun 11-Sep-11 22:32:43

Could try letting her clean your teeth and then swap?

EmmaRoyd Sun 11-Sep-11 22:34:03

My dentist told me to pin her down and force her to clean her teeth shock.. I thought yeh right! how to make her toothbrush phobic for the rest of her life!

belindarose Sun 11-Sep-11 22:34:15

'Mr toothbrush' looks in DD's mouth and finds out what she's eaten that day. This has worked for a couple of months now (24mo). Before that, she used a 'brushbaby' chewable toothbrush.

DunderMifflin Sun 11-Sep-11 22:35:16

Sorry for the hijack but my DS (3yrs) suddenly hates all toothpaste - any suggestions for this one?!

muttimalzwei Sun 11-Sep-11 22:38:50

Same here, 28 month, can't get near him. Ditto nails and toenails!

BertieBotts Sun 11-Sep-11 22:41:21

I do the eeee - aaaah song with DS, though he's nearly 3. I get him to say "EEEEEEEEEEE" (usually we do it to a little tune, I do it too) while I do the fronts, and then get him to sing "AAAAAAH" - again to a tune - while I do the molars. I by no means get them scrubbed to the level of my own teeth, but it's getting him back in the habit, we had got sloppy about it.

Before we got to the song stage I would just let him try doing his own while I did mine, doing my own slowly enough that he could copy if he wanted to, which seemed to accustom him to the idea of the toothbrush and then asked every day if I could have a turn doing his, he said no for ages, until one day when he said yes and then the idea of the song came to me so I got him to do that, now he finds it fun when I do it so he doesn't mind. He usually laughs, but if he moves too much out of position he's not making the right eee/aaa sound any more so he quickly closes/opens his mouth again - it's great!

When he's older then I will explain about brushing hard but my dentist says that when they are little it's much more important to establish the habit than worry about how well the teeth are getting cleaned, though of course you should try to clean them as best you can. Also to limit sticky foods like raisins and dried fruit, and encourage eating things like raw hard vegetables, e.g. carrot, and sticks or cubes of cheese are very good too.

GoodrickeCBlock Sun 11-Sep-11 22:49:48

We did what EmmaRoyd's dentist suggested. We took a 'my way or the highway' attitude to teethbrushing from the day they got their first tooth.

Now we have a 14 month old and a 2.5 year old who happily sit and have their teeth brushed so whilst it wasn't nice at the time, it didn't last long and has really paid off.

Of course, they do have full on hissy fits of epic proportions about other things , they are no angels and we are not wonder-parents, but at least their teeth are gleaming grin

ShirleySharpeyes Sun 11-Sep-11 22:56:46

Since mine were about 18 months onwards I have always knelt on the floor, and then got my dd's to lie in my lap and open their mouths - doing a similar thing to belinda - ie the toothbrush trys to work out what we have eaten, or somtimes I am a random character (they choose - mad dentist, horsey lady, farmer inspecting his sheeps teeth for grass - loads of really stupid stuff!). But having them in that position makes it really easy to clean the teeth quickly and effectively (it was a tip from my lovely dentist!)
My girls do now brush their own teeth in the morning (they are 5 and almost 4 now) but I always check as there is a lot of toothpaste eating and not much scrubbing I find.
I have terrible teeth, full of fillings and I have always been keen to do anything to prevent them having to suffer the same. But I agree the routine is the most important thing to establish - nobody gets in the bath until they have clean teeth!

BeeBopBunny Mon 12-Sep-11 09:25:55

Have you tried using Brush Baby toothbrushes? My DD (20mo) loves them.

BeeBopBunny Mon 12-Sep-11 09:26:36

Oh, and it's hopeless me trying to brush DD's teeth with a normal toothbrush. She just clamps her jaws on the brush and that's game over!

Tyrionlovingyourwork Mon 12-Sep-11 09:36:43

I brush mine at the same time and we play silly games too. We always follow the same routine no matter what.

DS does not like fruit toothpaste. He likes mild mint my DN likes strawberry milkshake flavour so it is a bit trial and error.

debka Mon 12-Sep-11 10:22:54

DD1 (2.5) tends to cock about but now she has a Sticker Chart on the bathroom door and stickers in the bathroom, and she gets one when she's let us do her teeth properly. Works really well.

hopingtobe Mon 12-Sep-11 11:24:54

Sorry, but we went with the 'pinning down' route. It certainly hasn't given her a phobia grin.

When she was a bit older, probably around 2, she suddenly 'got' sticker charts and was happy to do it then. We also made up a tooth brushing song and she liked (and still does) saying eeeeee and ahhhhhhh.

chrisrobin Mon 12-Sep-11 11:32:49

We have a dinosaur roar competition between the 2 boys and me- its noisy but effective, they roar and I brush while their mouths are wide open. One other thing we did when DS1 refused to let the brush near him was let him brush my teeth while I brushed his.

As for nails, they were cut in the night by torchlight until DS1 was 2 1/2, DS2 still has it done this way and he is 3.

cherub59 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:28:09

My dc like to choose a special place to have their teeth cleaned - on a certain chair, in the wardrobe (yes really) on the top bunk bed, on too of the radiator shelf, in a box, on their trikes.... Gives them some control.

Also buy as many toothpastes as you can get and let them chose which one tonight! Colgate smiles working for us at the moment.
Sticker reward chart.
Get 5 mins Lego but only when teeth cleaned.
Go thru what they have eaten today and look for "cheese monsters" "toastonsters" "spaghetti monsters" etc....

Failing that pin them down. It's got to be done. Or their teeth will fall out.

cherub59 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:29:43

Oh and there is a peppa pig episode at the dentist which goes thru teeth cleaning which is effective

Dinosaur roaring also good

jobnockey Mon 12-Sep-11 13:40:38

scrubbing Ds's sparkly dinosaur teeth, scrubbing whilst dinosaur roaring, sticker charts all work here... DS is 2.7 now and is much much much better with tooth brushing than he was at 19mo when i think i also posted on here worrying about his teeth falling out! I think initially he started letting me do it when it was one of his toys holding the toothbruish - he then had a go at brushing the toys teeth...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now