Talk

Advanced search

Grinding Teeth

(7 Posts)
SmilingandWaving Sat 10-Sep-11 20:38:58

Not sure if this is the right section for this but here it is anyway.

DS is 8 month & has got all 4 of his front teeth. In the last week or so he's started grinding them together really hard. The noise is driving me crazy, it's like fingernails on a blackboard and really sets my teeth on edge.

I'm also a bit worried that it might damage them. When I hear him doing it I tell him 'no' quite firmly but I don't think he really understands.

Is this normal & is it likely to do any long term damage? Also any suggestions on how to get him to stop, the noise actually makes me feel a bit sick.

JoinTheDots Sat 10-Sep-11 20:46:25

My 13 month old does this and I know what you mean about the noise.

I asked my dentist and she said it's fairly common, nothing to be worried about and is either the little one getting used to having teeth and experimenting or it is because the milk teeth sometimes are not lined up quite right so they like to grind them. In older babies it is sometimes linked to stress, but you would probably know if your child was stressed!

I distract with a toy when dd does it, especially teething toys in case she wants to chew, I don't think she would understand "no" yet.

Northernrose Sat 10-Sep-11 21:18:19

Hi
Only my own experience, but dd1 did this at around 6/7 months old when she also had her 4 front teeth. I hated the noise too, really grating so I can totally empathise. Tried distraction too but seemed to be worst when we were in the car and there was nothing I could do about it!
She seemed to grow out of it of her own accord after a month or two and hasn't done it since, now 19mo and has a mouthful of teeth!
It seemed a long time at the time but just wanted to say it is possible they can just grow out of it! HTH. We figured she was just getting used to having teeth like jointhedots dentist suggested...

Good luck!

SmilingandWaving Sat 10-Sep-11 21:30:25

Thank you, good to know it's quite common.

I'm pretty sure he's not stressed, he seems to think it's quite funny while I sit there cringing smile Distraction works a little, he'll have a chew on whatever he's given & then go back to the grinding.

I guess I'll have to learn to put up with it and keep him engaged with other things.

SmilingandWaving Sat 10-Sep-11 21:37:43

Northernrose - Finger crossed he grows out of it too then. I don't know how you put up with in the car, I think I'd have to pull over & get out.

I was worried it would turn into a habit. I have a friend who had to sleep with a shield to stop her doing it in her sleep as she was damaging her teeth.

Northernrose Sat 10-Sep-11 21:42:51

I know the feeling, I really worried too...but I know it can be stess related for older kids/adults and doesn't sound like your wee lad is stressed at all so hopefully he's just getting used to having teeth and he'll grow out of it! Fingers crossed as you say... smile

dreamfeeder Sat 10-Sep-11 21:47:44

oh i'm so relieved as 12 month old DD is grinding- hs got both bottom and one and a bit top teeth and the hideou grinding is driving me spare. Im ignoring it as in don't give any attention to the behaviour to encourage it as an attention seeking one and cross everything she grows out of it fast.... thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now