Talk

Advanced search

Random waking in the wee hours!!

(5 Posts)
bumpandababy Fri 09-Sep-11 22:17:08

My daughter is 13m and always been a good sleeper, slept through 12 hours every night from around 7m. However over past couple of weeks, she has woken up screaming in the early hours!!! It takes at least 2 hours to settle her and usually by this point I resort to a bottle! Help! I just dont understand whats up with her!! confused

joruth Fri 09-Sep-11 23:10:40

maybe...night terrors???? Is she "with you" when she wakes or does she seem to be somewhere else, terrified and stiff and staring?? Approach would be different in each case

joruth Fri 09-Sep-11 23:14:18

for night terrors that tend to happen at a predictable time each night, pre-waking can help...you work out when they are likely to occur and wake her at least 15-30 mins before then resettle. After a couple of weeks let her sleep through again and see if the cycle has been broken.

If not terrors then might need to reduce the reward for waking now...ie less attention and no bottle...gentle but brief resettling and toughing it out.

This assumes pohysical discomfort is excluded ( not constipated, thirsty.......etc.)

joruth Sat 10-Sep-11 18:53:28

??still waking or ok now?

bumpandababy Mon 12-Sep-11 11:38:13

Thanks ladies! gonna touch wood etc, but no waking last two nights! I think maybe night terrors could be the problem as she is so upset when she wakes!
Also will make hubby read this as he is the soft touch in our house! I totally agree with you on the less attention etc, but he just can not bear to hear her cry! Think we need to toughen up! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now