Talk

Advanced search

ADHD

(7 Posts)
mum23sons Wed 07-Sep-11 09:57:52

My almost 7 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD. We are living a nightmare at the moment as he is totally out of control and impulsive. We are a loving family and try hard as parents but am soo sick of being judged as being an awful parent. I am thinking of medication (it was recommended in the summer by a consultant neurologist) My DH is v reluctant to medicate him and TBH I have always been anti drugs of any kind for my boys, even calpol, so it goes against the grain! I am at the end of my tether though as our 3 year old is now emulating his big brother which is making family life intolerable.

LottieJenkins Wed 07-Sep-11 22:08:55

Bumping this for you................

nenevomito Wed 07-Sep-11 22:11:16

Hi mum23sons. Can I suggest you repost here in the SN Children section. There's a lot of lovely posters there with experience of ADHD who can help.

mum23sons Wed 07-Sep-11 22:37:05

Ahh thanks LottieJenkins and babyheave smile I will do

poptartpoptart Thu 08-Sep-11 12:57:35

Hi, I have no direct experience of this but I know my friend's boy was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and they had a terrible time trying to control his behaviour. Like you they were not keen on medicating him and so they tried all other methods to calm him but none of them worked. After about a year of hell they decided to give him the medication that the doctor prescribed (I don't know what it's called, sorry) and it made a huge difference. He takes one tablet each morning when he gets up and once the tablet has kicked in he is much calmer and happier and has a much better attention span for the rest of the day. They say towards late evening when the medication is wearing off and in the mornings before the tablet has taken effect he can still be a little hyper, but much much better than before. They invite anyone who disputes that ADHD exists to come to their house to witness the extreme difference to his behaviour before and after the medication!

jubilee10 Thu 08-Sep-11 14:00:29

My ds1, almost 16, was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 7. I was against medication but he was unhappy and under achieving not to mention antisocial so we decided on a trial. He now takes Concerta XL daily. The difference was immediately obvious. He has just done well in his standard grade exams, plays the violin in three different orchestras and is a lovely boy to have around. Occasionally we forget to give him his tablets and we get to see what our life could have been like. That said, I do worry that he could have long term problems caused by the medication and don't always feel completely happy about him taking them but on balance still think it was the right thing to do.

mum23sons Thu 08-Sep-11 19:04:58

Thanks so much, it is really helpful to hear your stories jubilee and poptart.
We saw another dr last night who has recommended concerta as well. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes. I am reluctant but as the playdate invites dry upand the tut tutting of other parents increases as well as our lives being turned into chaos, I think it is best for him. He says his brain is "busy" and has a "fire" growing in it. I really feel for him as he can't help it. He is a lovely lovely boy and very bright but just out of control..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now