Talk

Advanced search

When did your LO outgrow their highchair?

(21 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:28:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RuthChan Wed 07-Sep-11 10:25:50

Both my DC's stopped using the high chair at 2.
I bought a kaboost, which is fantastic.

www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-chair-booster-KABOOST-chocolate/dp/B001QCYHM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315387460&sr=8-1

Unlike a booster which goes on the chair, it goes under the chair and lifts the whole thing up. The child feels like he's on an adult chair, but is at a suitable height for eating at the table.
I highly recommend them.

Elizabeth22 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:46:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RuthChan Wed 07-Sep-11 12:11:24

I'd never seen them before either.
I was looking on line for a booster seat and came across them, so I bought one to try it.
I am delighted with it. DD used it for 2 years and DS has been using it for about a year now.
The high seat makes it a little harder for them to climb on and off the chair, but a little block helped with that in the beginning.
I think it helps them to feel grown up because the seat looks the same rather than having an extra cushion on it.

trixie123 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:25:51

yep, around two he wasn't keen to be held in place si much. We use a booster seat which he doesn;t seem to mind

Seona1973 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:48:46

ds used a booster from about 18 months - we used the Safety 1st basic booster seat that was very cheap and had no nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in.

Octaviapink Wed 07-Sep-11 13:22:19

We've used the Mothercare booster for DD since she was about 23 months and her brother needed the high chair. She can get on and off it herself by dragging one of the other chairs up to her chair and moving across.

olibeansmummy Wed 07-Sep-11 16:44:14

11 months, he sat at a little table and chairs or used a booster seat when out for meals but is now 2.4 and sits on a normal chair at a normal table quite happily smile

Earwiggy Wed 07-Sep-11 21:43:34

DS just used a normal chair from 2yo, he knelt up to bgin with and seemed ok with that.

fivegomadindorset Wed 07-Sep-11 21:54:22

ABout 18 months for both of them.

ruletheworld Wed 07-Sep-11 21:58:42

Both mine went into a booster at about 13 months - mainly because I don't like the space a highchair takes up.

DD1 sat comfortably on chairs when out from around two - I didn't get rid of the booster for a couple of months purely as it didn't occur to me to! When we moved I just never bothered putting it back on her chair.

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Sep-11 21:58:56

About 2. We have a breakfast bar, so he sits on a stool and has a little set of sets to climb up. He has been well trained not to wobble on his stool and is actually very good about it.

Dozeynoo Wed 07-Sep-11 22:42:41

Yes about 2, he (ds2) then went a couple of weeks using the booster and then refused even that and just knelt on the chair.
Not ideal but he didn't make a mess and ate really well so I took the attitude that there were other more important battles to take on.

TheSugarPlumFairy Thu 08-Sep-11 09:53:25

DD is 17 months and about 3 weeks ago i consigned the high chair to the loft and bought a booster seat for the table. So far she loves it. and i love not having the huge highchair constantly getting in the way.

We got this booster seat: www.amazon.co.uk/First-Years-Winnie-Pooh-Booster/dp/B000FCUOLS/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1315471926&sr=1-2

i take the inflatable "booster" out of it and chuck the whole thing in the wash if it gets grubby. It has come out good as new.

peggotty Thu 08-Sep-11 09:57:34

My ds is still in his ikea Antilop at 3.8 blushblush. In my defence, he uses it like a chair, just climbing in and out and it keeps him at right level at the table to eat his food (don't have booster seat). My and dh were just discussing how ridiculous it is that he's still in it but both agreed it seemed to keep him in one place long enough to eat meals.

seeker Thu 08-Sep-11 10:00:05

My 15 and 10 year olds still use theirs as desk chairs!

Earwiggy Thu 08-Sep-11 13:20:57

Seeker - I assume those are wooden ones like the tripp trap, can't see a 15yo in an antilop!!

UniS Thu 08-Sep-11 19:48:35

about 2. he tolerated a booster for a bit longer. used a stool to raise his height a bit age 3 tho 4. Now age 5 he has a regular chair with a cushion.

feedthegoat Thu 08-Sep-11 19:52:09

We swapped to a Tripp Trapp just before his 1st birthday. He is nearly 6 now and is still using it.

Tgger Thu 08-Sep-11 22:44:19

About 2 for DD, maybe a bit before. About 2.5 for DS. DD was second child and much smaller than DS, however, she went straight to just "sitting at table" and she does fine.

On holiday she needed a cushion as she couldn't actually reach the table (!) but apart from that really no problems.She is about 92 cm now, but was probably only about 86 or so when she quit the high chair. DS we put onto a booster for about 6 months, but really it was unnecessary and it's much easier just having them sit on the chair, then they can do that wherever you are.

MamaChoo Fri 09-Sep-11 15:48:41

Still using our wooden one (not Tripp Trapp, think it is Dutch) at 3. Gives just enough extra height and she likes it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now